Two

I woke up early in the morning, knowing I would never be able to get back to sleep, I got out of bed and had a shower to get ready for my first day of classes, I had a study break first. Usually I would fill this time with homework or something else work related, but because it was only the first day and I didn't know the syllabus, I grabbed my worn out copy of Hogwarts: A History and walked down to the common room after I had gotten dressed into my school robes. As I had expected, the common room was pretty empty only a couple of people were sitting around, getting ready for class. I went to a comfy chair in front of the fireplace and settled down to read my book.

"Excuse me?" I looked up to see a nervous looking first year boy, "I'm sorry to bother you," he added looking at my book.
"No, it's okay" I said with a polite smile, "What can I help you with?"
"Well I was wondering if you could tell me where the Potions classroom is?" He asked quietly.
"Oh, of course, it's in the Dungeons" I said smiling and then added "Do you know where that is?" when I saw his black expression, the boy shook his head to say no.
"Well that's okay, I'll walk you there after breakfast" I offered him, closing my book.
"Are you sure? Won't that make you late for your class?" He asked me with hopeful eyes.
"Of course I'm sure. I'm a prefect, it's my responsibility." I told him with a sincere smile on my face, "anyway, I don't have a class this morning".
"Thank you so much" The boy said smiling for the first time.
"No problem, wait for me out the front of The Great Hall when you finish eating okay?"
"Okay, thank you again. I was worried the Professor would give me detention for being late." He told me, looking relieved.
"You won't be late, don't worry." I assured him, by now I could see Ginny, Ron and Harry walking down from their dormitories. "Well I'm going to breakfast now, I'll see you when I finish" I said as I waved him goodbye and walked over to meet my friends.

"Made a new friend have you, Hermione?" Harry asked, grinning at the boy I was talking to just before.
"He just asked me where Potions was. So I told him I would walk him there." I told them smiling.
"Ooh, going for a younger man are you?" Ginny laughed, I rolled my eyes.
"Very funny, Ginevra." I replied, using her full name that I knew she hated. I laughed when I heard her groan a shut up.
"Alright, lets get to breakfast" Ron said, talking for the first time.
"Okay" Harry said and we walked down to The Great Hall.

After eating breakfast Harry and Ronald had Divination and Ginny had History of Magic, I walked out of the front of The Great Hall and found the boy waiting for me.
"Hello" I said as I approached him with a smile on my face.
"Hi" He said shyly.
"Potions is this way" I said and led him down the steps, towards the Dungeons. "So what's your name?"
"James"
"Hi James, my name's Hermione," I said, to which he just smiled. The rest of the walk was quiet when we came to the Potion classroom, there were only a few students outside so James was early.
"Well this is the Potion class, Professor Lite should be here soon" I said, looking around the hallway.
"Thanks" James said quietly, smiling at me happily.
"It's okay, if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask." I said smiling, then turned around and walked back up the corridor.

When I rounded the corner I ran into someone, I would have fallen to the ground but the person had their arms around my waist. I looked up to see Draco Malfoy peering down at me curiously.
"What are you doing down here, Granger? Don't you have class?" I heard him say, but I couldn't help but just stare at him. Has his eyes always been that bright? I thought and then mentally slapped myself, that's Malfoy you're thinking about Hermione!
"What's it to you, Ferret?" I answered back, suddenly aware that his arms were still around my waist and also aware of the electric current running through my body from his touch. This is weird, I thought as I roughly pulled out of his hold on me.
"Ouch Granger, bit aggressive today are we?" Malfoy said, feigning hurt, but there was something in his eyes, something he was trying very hard to hide. Is it... no. I cut off that thought before it could continue. It's Draco Malfoy, git of the century. Remember that Hermione.
"Leave me alone, Malfoy" I hissed adding as much venom into my words as I could. Malfoy looked a bit taken aback by my outburst but it was quickly masked with a sneer.
"With a temper like that you could pass as a Slytherin, Granger. Too bad you've got bad blood." He said with a smirk. I wasn't sure why but hearing that hurt more than it usually did. I know calling someone a mudblood is horrible, and saying they have bad blood is pretty much the same thing; but this was Draco Malfoy I was talking to, he couldn't have one conversation without saying the word or referring something to Muggle Borns. I stared at him for a moment, shocked at the casual way he had offended me, shocked at the way it affected me and at the same time, willing my eyes not to tear up.
I will not give Malfoy the satisfaction, I thought as I stepped around him and tried to walk away, a pale white hand reached out and stopped me.
"Granger, I... I didn't-" I cut Malfoy off by pulling his hand off my arm despite the current I now felt from my hand on his wrist and his hand on my arm. This has to stop.
"Save it" I tried to say but it came out as a whimper of sobs, just brilliant Hermione, I mentally cursed myself, I walked up the hallway and could faintly hear him sigh and then the sound of footsteps before I was out of hearing range. As I walked up the stairs to the common room I couldn't help the tears that started to leak. Stupid Malfoy.