Ten

[Author Note: Before you start reading this chapter, just wanted to say GUYS THERES BEEN ALMOST 10K VIEWS OH MY GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. That is all. Enjoy x

P.S I've re-edited and changed a few minor things in previous chapters, so feel free to read the story again :) x]

"You came." Draco announced as he made his way into the shadow of the tree, where I'd been waiting for him.
"Of course I did. I was beginning to think you weren't going to show up." I admitted as he sat down next to me, in the same spot we were in a few hours ago.
"Sorry," he said quietly, "I couldn't get rid of Crabbe and Goyle. Did you have any trouble getting away?"
"No," I said, stretching my legs in front of me, "Ginny covered for me, said I had some assignment to do."
"So she knows, does she?" Draco asked, slinging an arm across my shoulders.
"Yeah," I told him, leaning into his side, amazed how easily comfortable it was. "I still haven't said anything to Harry or Ron though."
"How do you think they'll react?" He mused, leaning his head against the side of the building.
"I don't even want to think about it." I grimaced, giving a short laugh. "How do you think Crabbe and Goyle will take it?"
"I doubt they'll think anything about it to be honest," he laughed, giving a shrug, "I'm slightly worried about what Pansy will do though."
"Oh." I mumbled, trying to sound nonchalant. "How come?"
"Because of the rumours she spread just 'cause she caught us talking." I saw Draco shake his head in frustration, immediately my mind was racing. What would she do? Spread even more rumours?
"I don't think we need to worry about her, what else can she do?"
"She'll find a way to ruin it, she always does."
"We'll just deal with that when it comes then." I said, hoping to put an end to the conversation, we only had half an hour before curfew, and I definitely didn't want to spend it talking about Pansy Parkinson.

"So, I have something to ask you." Draco said after we'd been quiet for a few minutes.
"Alright." I smiled, waiting for him to continue.
"I was wondering if you wanted to go to the ball with me."
"Really?" I asked, feeling my cheeks start to heat up.
"Yeah." He said, as though it should have been obvious.
"I'd love to." I grinned, leaning up and placing a kiss on his cheek. That means I have a month to tell the boys. I thought as I settled back down again. 4 weeks.
"It's almost curfew." Draco murmured softly, "we should probably get going soon before someone comes looking."
"Okay." I whispered back, but gave no gesture of moving.
"Come on." Malfoy said, pulling me up so we were both standing.

***

I told Ginny everything that had happened over breakfast, glad that Harry had chosen this morning to help Ron with his Quidditch.
"This is so exciting!" She grinned, "What colour dress robes are you going to wear?"
"I don't know." I shrugged, taking a sip of my juice.
"Are you going to match Malfoy? What's he wearing?" Ginny pressed, her food all but forgotten.
"We haven't really had a chance to talk about it to be honest," I said, "and besides, we have bigger things to worry about."
"Oh?" She asked, picking her fork back up, "like?"
"Like who you're going to the ball with."
"I don't really wanna think about that." Ginny said, frowning at her plate.
"You have to, it's not that far away." I insisted.
"There's no one I want to go with." She grumbled, I knew what she meant though, there was no one else she wanted to go with.
"I have an idea." I announced a moment later, "why don't you suggest to Harry and Ron that you guys go as a group, with Luna or someone."
"That's a great idea!" She beamed, "I'm going to go find Luna to ask if she's got a date yet, I'll meet you back at the common room so we can go to Hogsmeade together." She added as she pushed herself away from the table, I waved goodbye to her as I finished the last of my own breakfast.

I was just about to move away from the Gryffindor table when a paper aeroplane landed on my now empty plate. I glanced around cautiously to see who had thrown it but didn't notice anyone that stood out, I sat back down and opened the note slowly, unsure what was in there. My heart sank in my chest when I saw the picture that'd been drawn and charmed to move. Whoever the person was, had drawn a cats face onto a girls body in Gryffindor colours, and as I watched the two front teeth grew longer and longer until they were half as tall as the girl that I assumed was supposed to be me, the word Mudblood appeared underneath the drawing in a messy scrawl, repeated so many times that it became all that I could see. I scrunched up the paper and shoved it into my pocket, standing up with my head held high. I made an effort to wipe my face clean of any emotion and walked out, knowing that whoever had given me the note, was probably watching.

Ginny met me back in the common room 10 minutes later, a grin on her face.
"Luna's free?" I guessed when she was within earshot, she just nodded, waving to Harry and Ron as they trudged down the stairs from their room, bickering about something.
"Hey guys," Ginny greeted them after they'd made their way over, "I have something I need to ask you before we go."
"What's up?" Harry asked instantly, I stifled a chuckle.
"I was wondering if you already had a date to the ball?" She asked, her attention fully on Harry, although it was Ron who answered for them both.
"No, why?" Harry shook his head in confirmation.
"I was going to suggest that we go together, in a group actually, because Luna doesn't have a date either."
"Sure" Harry agreed automatically, grinning happily at Ginny as Ron looked confused.
"What about you?" He asked, furrowing his eyebrows at me.
"I already have a date." I told them, feeling my cheeks redden when I saw Ron surprised expression, memories of the Yule Ball coming back.
"You're going with Krum again, aren't you?" Ron asked, almost rolling his eyes as he said it.
"Merlin's beard Ron, do you al-" Ginny started to scoff but I cut her off.
"Yes I am," I said at once, my nerves over telling him the truth getting the best of me. "I'm going with Viktor Krum."
"What? Hermione!" Ginny exclaimed, glaring at me through her alarm.
"Are you kidding me!?" Ron said, his own stare turning into a glare as well, "I thought you didn't like him?"
"I don't." I said automatically, rolling my eyes as I did.
"Then why are you going with him?" Ron demanded, I looked at Ginny for help but she wouldn't meet my gaze.
"Well... I..." I stammered, unsure what to say, there's no way I could just say that I was actually going with Draco, that'd make him even angrier.
"Lets just drop it, okay?" Harry was the one to cut in, "we'd better leave or we'll miss the cut off for Hogsmeade."
"I'm not going." Ron announced and left before anyone could say anything, taking the stairs to his dormitory two at a time.
Harry sighed, "I'll stay with him, you girls go." He squeezed my hand reassuringly before he took off after Ronald.

"Why didn't you just tell him the truth?" Ginny asked as we exited through the portrait hole, winding our way down the moving staircase.
"I chickened out." I mumbled, "I'll find another way to tell him."
"You better." We continued on in silence, pulling our cloaks around us tighter as we reached the bridge, the wind sharper and the air colder than it had been at the castle.

"Granger!" I heard a familiar voice call from behind me, Ginny and I exchanged a glance before we both turned around, seeing Draco as he jogged to catch up to us.
"Hey" I greeted him, painfully aware that Ginny was next to me, our arms brushed as he slowed his pace, we caught each others eyes and smiled, his hand grazed against the back of mine, seeming more deliberate than the arm had been.
"Hello Weasley." Draco said politely, glancing over at Ginny.
"Malfoy." She acknowledged with a nod, not unkindly, I pursed my lips anyway, silently warning her.
"So," He continued easily, "what are you ladies doing in Hogsmeade today?"
"I think we're just going to get a Butterbeer." I answered, glancing at Ginny for confirmation.
"Mind if I walk with you? I'm meeting Zabini after his date with Pansy." Draco explained, my head whipped around.
"Uh what?" I exclaimed, "Blaise Zabini and Pansy Parkinson?"
"Yeah." He nodded, shrugging a shoulder as we continued over the bridge and down the road towards Hogsmeade.
"I thought she liked you?" I questioned, he just shrugged again.
"Not anymore." He said, smiling as his arm brushed against mine again.
"I bet she's doing it to make you jealous, you don't get over someone that quickly." I mused, we were quiet as we entered into the village, seeing third years race around, trying to get a look at everything before closing time. Professor Lite was yelling orders, a look of frustration on her face.

Draco held the door open for Ginny and I as we entered the Three Broomsticks, once we'd claimed a booth, Ginny offered to go get the drinks.
"So," Draco started, scooting closer to me, I glanced around and saw that no one was up our end of the pub. I crossed my legs and took hold of his hand, returning his grin.
"So," I said as well, looking down at our entwined hands, noticing that this was the first time we'd actually held hands. I repressed a smile, "when is Blaise getting here?"
"He should already be here, actually." Draco said, looking around but not seeing him. "Maybe he's running late." He added with a shrug.
"Maybe." I agreed, leaning back against the back of the booth.
"More time to spend with you." He winked, slinging an arm across my shoulders, I let a soft laugh out and leaned into his side, placing a kiss on his cheek.
"Did you ever think this would happen?" I asked after a moment of silence.
"What?" He asked, his eyebrows furrowing.
"Us I mean, did you ever think it would happen?"
"No," he shook his head, "I'm glad it did though." He added quickly, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.
"So am I." I smiled, sitting up straighter when I saw that Ginny had gotten our Butterbeers - to my surprise, she'd actually gotten one for Draco as well, and was on her way back to our booth.
"I didn't think in a million years that you'd ever like me." Malfoy admitted, taking his arm away from my shoulders and resting his hand on my leg, out of sight from anyone who might pass.
"I never thought I'd like you," I admitted, shrugging, "just like I'm sure you never thought you'd ever care about me either."
"True." Draco allowed, a mischievous glint in his eye. "Know it all."
"Tosser." I mumbled, rolling my eyes but with a smile on my face. He let out a deep laugh and kissed my temple, resting his forehead against mine before pulling away just as Ginny reached the table.

"Alright, lovebirds." She mumbled, sitting down "here you go."
"Cheers." Draco said, taking his drink, "Blaise's here, so I better go."
"Alright," I smiled, "see you later."
"You bet." He winked, and then turned his attention to Ginny. "It's been a pleasure, Weasley." He lifted his glass in farewell and walked over to meet Blaise Zabini.
"You could have been a little nicer to him, Ginny." I grumbled as I watched Malfoy sit down in another booth not too far away from us with Blaise.
"I was as nice as I could be." She told me, taking a swig of her Butterbeer.
"I thought you liked him now?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows, warming my hands on my glass.
"I never said I liked him," she corrected, "I just meant I'd tolerate him if he makes you happy."
"Then what's the problem? You weren't being very tolerating then."
"I was trying," she promised, "he's just so infuriating."
"He was being nice to you!" I exclaimed, frowning.
"I'll try harder, just set in old ways, you know?" She grimaced, sipping more from her Butterbeer.
"You better." I raised an eyebrow, pursing my lips. My eyes drifted back over to Draco's table, our eyes met at once. I noticed Blaise was talking with Pansy now, it seemed as though Draco had been all but forgotten. He winked subtly at me, smiling in a way that made my own automatically appear on my face.

"One day." Ginny cut in, bringing my attention back to her, "one day, I might find your little secret romance cute, but for now..." she trailed off, making a gagging noise, an amused smile on her face. I just rolled my eyes and fought to keep them away from Draco, taking an effort to pay attention to Ginny as she told me the latest news between her and Harry.