Twenty One

I woke to the smell of sizzling bacon and warm muffins, disorientated for a moment I rolled over and almost fell out of the bed. The grumble of my stomach made me finally get out of bed, I tiptoed past Ginny’s sleeping form and ducked out of the room.
I almost collided with Harry on the stairs and we walked quietly to breakfast together.
“Ron and I are going to visit Luna later today.” He said softly as we sat down at the table.
“Oh, are you?” I mumbled, “it would have been nice to see her before school starts again.”
“Why don’t you come with us?” He suggested. “I’m sure she would love to see you.”
“That’s okay, Mum is probably already on her way.” I felt myself flush and wondered if Harry noticed, if he did, he didn’t mention anything.
“No problem.” He turned back to the table of food and started putting bits and pieces on to his plate.
“Why don’t you ask Ginny?” I murmured after a moment. “I’m sure she’d love to go.”
He did, as soon as Ginny joined us, he asked if she wanted to go too and she perked up right away. All signs of sleep washed away as soon as he spoke to her.

After breakfast, we helped Mrs Weasley clean up and then played a game of exploding snap. Before I knew it, it was time to leave.

“Thank you for having me.” I said to Mr & Mrs Weasley as I dropped my bag by the door. I hugged everyone in turn and followed Fred out the door. He had offered to drop me off to where Mum was picking me up and I was silently thankful that it wasn’t Mr Weasley, it was rarely as simple as saying goodbye when he got to talking.

I spotted mum’s car the moment we stepped out from the shade, my head still spinning from the pull of apparating.
“Thanks so much, Fred.” I smiled as he enveloped me in a hug.
“No problem, Hermione. Come back soon.” He waited until I was seated in the car before he disappeared into the trees.
“Who’s that? Draco?” Mum commented and I felt my face flush.
Mum.” I hissed. “That’s Ron’s brother, you know that.”
She pursed her lips and pulled away from the curb, I shook my head as I watched the streets passing by.
“You’ll meet Draco on Friday.”
“Oh good, he’s coming?” She smiled, glancing at me before focusing back on the road.
“Yeah, I saw him at the game.”
“Oh, excellent. Nana and Grandad have already claimed the guest room so I'm afraid I'll have to make up the couch for him. He won’t mind, right?” My eyes widened as I considered that.
“I didn’t ask if he wanted to stay, I didn’t think you’d be okay with that.” I occupied myself by pulling a thread from the bottom of my shirt as I felt her look at me again.
“Well, he’s not allowed to stay in your bedroom, Hermione.” She scoffed. “But I'm not going to send the kid home after dark.”
“Thanks.” I cleared my throat, feeling somewhat awkward. “What time should I tell him?”
“Whenever you like, sweetie.” She shrugged. “Your grandparents will be over around 5 o’clock.”
“Thanks, I’ll send him a letter when we get home to let him know.”
“You’d think being wizards and all you would have found an easier way to communicate by now.” She mused, I chuckled. It was true.
The rest of the drive was a quiet one and eventually we pulled up in front of our house.

I lugged my bag up to my bedroom and was digging through my drawers when Mum called out from the bottom of the stairs.
“I’ll be back later, sweetheart. I’m just going to help dad at work.”
“Before you go!” I called, rushing out of my room. “Do you mind if I head into London a bit later?”
“How come?” She pursed her lips.
“I have some presents I need to get.” I told her, “I’ll be safe, promise.”
“Alright, I'll leave some money on the table if you need it.” She opened her bag as she walked towards the front door.
“Thank you!” I called after her, “see you soon.”

I ducked back into my room and found the parchment I was looking for, I took my quill and got to writing.

Draco,

I’m back home now. My address is 20 Heathgate, Hampstead. My grandparents will be here at 5pm but you are welcome any time you like, maybe 2pm if you aren’t busy?

Also, Mum has said that you are welcome to stay the night to save you travelling back after dark.

Can’t wait to see you.

Hermione x

I put the letter in an envelope and addressed it, shoving it into my bag before digging around in my desk again. I pulled out a few notes and coins I had saved and counted it up. $59.40. If I budget right, it might be enough to get the presents I need.
I pulled my coat on and grabbed my purse as I left my bedroom, I hesitated on the landing and spotted the money mum had left. I pocketed it, hoping that I wouldn’t need it.

I stopped by Gringotts to exchange some of my money and then headed to Gambol and Japes, scanning the aisles, I started filling a box with stuff for Ron.
“Would you like this gift wrapped?” The shop owner asked, his old hands shaking slightly as he carefully placed the fireworks and instant darkness powder back in the box.
“Yes, please.” I watched as he put the rest of the things in and waved his wand, lines of ribbon and wrapping paper shot up from underneath the counter and wound itself extravagantly around the box. “Thank you.”
I tucked the box under my arm as I made my way through various other shops and by the time I was finished, my feet hurt and I was stifling a yawn.
I ducked into the post office and made my way over to the woman at the counter.
“How can I help you, my love?” She smiled warmly and reminded me of my own grandmother. I still need to get them presents. I thought and made a mental note to stop somewhere in London on my way home.
“I’d like to post this letter, if I could.” I murmured, digging Draco’s letter out of my bag. “And these presents too but to arrive tomorrow.”
I put Ron’s box on the counter along with Harry’s book and Quidditch training balls, and Ginny’s long-lasting perfume, hair potions and chocolate frogs. The lady nodded and started wrapping them in Christmas coloured paper, I wrote cards and addressed them and with a wave of her wand the presents flew off in one direction as the letter went to where I assumed the owls were. I thanked her before turning and heading back out the way I'd come, a chill had settled over Diagon Alley and I caught sight of little puffs of white falling from the sky as I wrapped my jacket around me tighter. I stepped carefully over the snow melting on the foot path and spotted Florean’s parlour and went inside, revelling in the warmth that enveloped me.
“Ah, hello Miss Granger.” Florean smiled when he saw me. “What can I get you, my dear?”
“Just a hot chocolate please, Mr Fortescue.” I thanked him when he directed me to a table.
“Where are your friends?” He asked as he set the hot chocolate in front of me, I held it and let it warm my hands.
“Just me today.” I smiled, thanking him again and watched as he walked off to serve someone else.

I was sipping my hot chocolate when the door opened again, a gust of cold air followed them inside and I shivered, though I wasn’t sure if it was from the cold or my sudden nerves.
“Ah, Mr Zabini, Mr Malfoy.” Florean’s tone sounded considerably less cheery. “Having here or taking away?”
“We’ll have two hot chocolates here.” Blaise murmured, they turned around when Florean motioned for them to take a seat and I ducked my head in time, hoping that they hadn’t seen me looking at them.
I was acutely aware of them moving past my little booth and felt someone slide in next to me.
“Fancy seeing you here.” Draco’s smile was evident in his voice. I glanced up and he was peering down at me, his hands clasped together on the table. My gaze drifted up to Blaise who stood with an uncomfortable look on his face. That makes two of us.
Draco leaned in as though to kiss me and I felt myself pale, my eyes flickered to Blaise once more before I turned my head so his lips met my cheek. I saw the confusion written on his face when he pulled back but I smiled as casually as I could, trying to ignore the awkwardness looming over us.
“What are you doing here?” My eyes flickered to Blaise again, somewhat subconsciously.
“Blaise is waiting for Pansy.” He inclined his head. “Are you going to do that standing up?” Blaise hesitated for a moment before he slid into the seat opposite us.
“What about you?” He brought my attention back to him. “You’re the last person I would have thought to see here.”
“Christmas shopping.” I shrugged, my eyes darted around the parlour and caught the eye of Florean, he was watching us with a concerned look on his face. He made his way over as soon as their drinks were ready.
“Here are your drinks, gents.” He hovered by the table, “where should I put them?”
“Here’s fine, thanks.” Draco reached out his hand for the drinks. Florean hesitated again, looking at me. I smiled at him and he waited another second before he put the drinks down and disappeared back behind the counter.
“So, what did you get me?” He murmured after a moment and my eyebrows pulled together.
“Sorry?”
“For Christmas.”
I laughed lightly, “you’re not supposed to ask that.”
I heard Blaise snort quietly and automatically my eyes drifted back to him. This is so uncomfortable. Perhaps sensing my discomfort, Draco’s hand found mine under the table and he linked our fingers together. My gaze moved back over to the door when the chilly air blew through the cosy room again and settled on Pansy, I watched as her eyes locked on Draco and then moved to me, an unattractive scowl settling on her face.
“What’s she doing here?” Her nasally voice questioned when she stopped by the table, Blaise snorted again and Draco stiffened.
“Hello to you too, Parkinson.” Draco murmured, a bored tone in his voice.
“What’s she doing here?” She repeated, sitting down when Blaise scooted over for her. I felt my cheeks redden at the way she spoke of me as though I wasn’t here.
“We ran into Granger while we were waiting for you to arrive.” Draco explained, Pansy’s eyes followed the movement our arms made as he pulled my hand closer to him and started tracing patterns into the back of my hand.
“Great, well I'm here now so...” She said dismissively, turning to get back up.
“Not so fast.” Draco said quickly before turning to look at me. “Would you like to come with us?”
Pansy was the one who answered first, astonishment in her words. “You aren’t serious?”
“Quiet, Parkinson.” He grumbled, not taking his eyes from my face. Double date with Blaise and Pansy? No thank you.
“That’s alright, I should be getting home.”
“Well now that that is sorted.” Pansy prompted, sounding more relaxed than a moment ago.
Draco ignored her, his eyebrows pulling together as he looked at me. “Please?”
“I really should go.” I said again, squeezing his hand gently before pulling out of his grip and turning to grab my bag.
“Okay,” he relented after a moment. “See you Friday?”
“Friday?” Pansy questioned, for the first time she was starting to look threatened. I watched as Blaise took his arm back from behind her, looking uncomfortable again.
“See you then.” I smiled and shuffled over when he got up to let me out. I made for the door but his hand caught my arm as I stepped.
“Aren’t you going to say goodbye?”
“Sorry,” I murmured, taking a step back towards him and letting his arms wrap around me. I faced away from Blaise and Pansy, trying to forget that they were probably watching us. “Bye.”
“Bye.” He said softly, a finger hooked under my chin and gently guided my face up. He’s going to kiss me. I felt the panic bubble inside of me and tried to smother it. I’d already deflected one kiss in front of them, I couldn’t do it again without him noticing.
His lips found mine and when he pulled me closer to him I pulled back abruptly. “Okay, gotta go.” I said, almost hysterically as I made for the door.
“What’s happening on Friday?” I heard the faint voice of Pansy as I darted out into the cold air, letting it carry away the heat on my face and panic in my chest.