Story 1

I tried everything! I switched multiple positions, flipped and fluffed the pillow, I even put an ice pack in it. Nothing worked. I've taken too many sleeping pills in the last few days and I don't want to risk more. I sat up in my bed, head in my heads and glanced at the clock one more time.

2:27AM

Fuck.

I groaned in frustration and finally decided let the night ride through. I got up and flicked on the bedside lamp. I didn't want to burn my eyes. The room was as tidy as it could be. The study table was organized, the dresser was clean and dirty clothes were all piled in the basket.

I should over think more. Keeps the place tidy.

My eyes darted towards the upright blue case in the corner and the already set stand. I caught myself at the thought and held onto it tight.

No. No. It's been years. You don't even remember how to hold the bow, let alone play.

Before I knew it I had laid down the case and was tightening the bow hair. My hands moved over the smooth wood and winding naturally and the fingers fell into their positions. My eyes lit up. Then I looked at the smooth light brown violin. The finger markers were long gone, I'd have to do without them. Letting out a deep sigh, I placed the bow down gently on my bed and took out the violin. From releasing the strap, the out of tune sound of the strings rang in my ear. I flinched a little. Placing the shoudler rest on, I then slowly, one by one, tuned the strings to the sound I remember.

Yeah, that sounds right.

I made sure to put on the practice mute, so I wouldn't disturb the whole dorm. I started off with the basic techniques. Scales, arpeggios, string and bow exercises. It was loud and really scratchy but I kept at it, thankful for the mute. Slowly but surely I was playing a bit like I used to. I played the etudes I've practiced countless times. The notes flowed through my fingers with no effort.

I smiled. This bliss. This feeling of weightlessness. I missed it so. I finished the etude with a strong vibrato, pushing the bow horizontally and into the air. I found myself panting slightly with sweat dripping down my temple. My arms ached and my fingers stung. I haven't felt this alive in years. My eyes ran to the clock again.

3:30AM

Huh, that was fast.

I smiled. I've only warmed up and it's already been an hour. I proceeded to toy with the melody of Chopin's Nocturne in C sharp minor and also with some other melodies of the pieces I remembered playing. It was so fun. I couldn't fully immerse myself in the music, it just didn't feel strong enough yet. I'd have to practice a little more.

At last I gave into my aching shoulders and put my precious away. I laid down on my bed with my face to the ceiling. I sighed deeply and smiled again. It felt good to reconnect and to know I haven't lost the music in me, that I still have a chance to become a musican.

Then it happened. His face popped into my vision. His beautiful chocolate brown eyes, smooth, fair skin, his dark messy hair and finally, that smile. That luscious smile, which would've given so many girls butterflies. It didn't just do that for me, it inspired me. I remember his words.

You are so talented. You'll be a great violinist one day.

My smile grew bigger and I giggled a little. He is the only one I ever truly believed was telling me the truth because I searched for it, the lie in his eyes, but I didn't find any. He genuinely believed I was talented. I let this fire of of motivation fill me and I take an oath, right here and now.

"I'm going to be the best fucking violinist who ever lived after Paganini."

*