19

I stood beside the door with hands crossed on my chest, leaning against the wall. My eyes were wild watching the agents jogging in their lines; some were practicing combatant fight; meanwhile some seemed as if they were tested by their seniors about S.H.I.E.L.D or army-related. Shouting at the faces really disgusted me. Maybe that was how they got promoted to a higher level like Ryder mentioned about Natalie when we first met.

     The clearing was quite windy and sunny. I stayed under the roof because I didn't bring my shades to protect my eyes. Most of the time I was watching them, my eyes were narrowed like an old man reading the newspaper. It was until I saw a familiar figure, tall and bulky, that my eyes went wide like a ping ping ball. My heart raced, didn't actually prepare to see him at this moment. Alone.

     I felt my eyes began to water as he approached me calmly. He stopped on his track to get the agents passed him and then he continued walking - or rather striding towards me with his big steps. His face was soft. He looked guilty and sorry. His bright blue eyes were shining under the sunlight. I could've melted into those eyes, but not after what he'd done to my father. He literally made Dad broken into pieces. I don't know how to lift Dad's spirit now. All because of him.

     But I couldn't hold my tears longer that I let it fall by the time he stood in front of me. His big body towered my smaller ones. He watched me in concern.

     He sighed. "Let's get inside."

     It took me a few minutes to calm down and turn to get inside with my own accord. Good thing, he didn't try to hug me because if he did, I don't think I could get away as much as I wanted to. His embrace was always very welcoming and this was not the first he's seeing me crying. Ever since the Battle of New York, we got close day by day. But not now, as you can see.

     I followed him silently until we reached an empty room.

     "How are you?" If he is trying to care about me like he used to, I'd say he failed because after what happened, I cannot see his face the same again. Even hearing his name made me grimace.

     "I'm not good, but what do you care. You get what you want. You don't need me anymore." I sniffled.

     "Terri, I've been so worried about you ever since your father came with Secretary Ross," he told me. He sounded annoyed with my previous statement. I almost has forgotten how nice and mature his voice was that I flinced when he spoke it in this deserted room. "I knew from the very beginning that it wasn't going to be good; and the first thing that came into my mind was you. I don't know why, but you've been my priority aside from-"

     "Peggy," I said coldly, looking at him impassively. He was speechless for a while as he looked at me in utter disbelieve.

     "Yes, Peggy and my friends," he agreed, didn't bother to ask me how I knew it. Maybe he figured that one of his friends told me.

     Then, he shook his head. "Terri, you should know that whatever's happening for a reason. I have my own reasons why I chose what I chose. And I don't think it was mine or your father's fault all these times. He's got some good reasons too, but I just couldn't follow him."

     "Why?" I looked up at him flatly. "Because of Bucky?"

     "Terri, you don't know him. He's been a friend to me when I don't have anyone. You know I live alone since I was 18." His voice was higher than he first spoke to me.

     "So what?" I sniggered. "Dad's been living alone since he was a child. And he never had any friends until, what, he's thirty? And, for your information, if it wasn't because of Bucky, I would still have a grandmother, ya know. Dad talked about her a lot and I really want to meet her."