Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Friday dawned on a clear blue sky, promising a warm, sunny day. Mistrea had spend all her time during the past few days writing so didn’t stop to think when the phone rang, she answered it as she always did with a good natured, “Hi this is Mistrea how can I help you?”

She was somewhat surprised to hear Principal Henderson’s voice, “Good morning Miss Larkin, I was hoping we could talk about the get together planned for this evening?”

“The get together I told you to cancel?”

“Yes, that would be the one. Unfortunately it was far too late to cancel and I am hoping that you might reconsider attending and speaking of course?”

“You’re serious aren’t you?”

“I’ve never been more serious Miss Larkin. We have some prominent community members attending, as well as people from several of the outlying towns and at least one person from a nearby university. Is there anything I can do to make you change your mind?”

Mistrea could feel her resolve crumble; “Fine, I’ll be there!” she hung up before Henderson could rabbit on about what he wanted her to speak about. If she was going to show up, she’d do it on her own terms and speak about what she damn well pleased.

She went about her day as usual and was surprised when she heard a knock on the front door. When she opened it she all but threw herself into her visitors’ arms. “Charles! It’s so good to see you.”

“I thought you could use some support tonight.” He smiled.

“Tonight… how did you know I’d change my mind?”

“I know you my dear and besides, you need to do this. You need to let them know they can’t treat the way they have been. You’re a strong woman Mistrea, they need to see that. Now how about letting in so you can offer me a coffee?”

They spend time catching up, that is to say Charles asking her a multitude of questions and Mistrea answering him. They had an early dinner not wanting to have to bother after the gathering at the Community Centre.

After dinner they got ready to leave, they took Mistrea’s car and managed to get a parking space fairly close. She was supposed to speak at six thirty and it was almost that when they arrived. Mistrea didn’t want to give Principal Henderson time to prep her in regards to what she should say.

When they walked in, Henderson rushed towards her, a pained expression on his face. “Good, you made it!” He handed her a sheet of paper and she reluctantly took it.

Sure enough he’d prepared several dot points on what she should speak about. She smirked as she looked at it, then followed him to the front of the room with Charles in tow. Chairs were set up and the room was all but full, she calculated there’d be about sixty or seventy people, maybe more. That some of these people were on the school board and responsible for her being removed from teaching wasn’t lost on her, but she remained calm.

Henderson stepped onto the stage indicating that they should sit down then moved to the podium. He looked out over the crowd and waited for quiet. “Good evening ladies and gentlemen. As advertised we have been able to secure our latest local, author Mistrea Larkin to speak to us about writing, her career and perhaps why she chose our quaint little town to settle in. I’m sure there will be time at the end, so please keep your questions until then.” he turned to Mistrea and applauded indicating she should come to the podium.

Both Mistrea and Charles came to their feet, she moved to stand at the podium and Charles stood a couple of steps to her side. He took out a tape recorder and pressed record before handing it to her. He gave her a slight smile and she placed it on the podium before looking at the audience.