Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Friday morning was cloudy, but Mistrea knew it would clear into a sunny day. She decided to bake today, Zac may not want her to attend the Founders Day gathering tomorrow, but she had a right to be there and she needed to speak with him. It was time for her to lay all her cards on the table and if he didn’t like what she has to say, then that’d just be too bad.

Mae hadn’t been by and Mistrea was glad about that, she had a feeling Mae knew more than she realised and for now it seemed best not to see her. By ten o’clock Mistrea was in full swing in the kitchen and when Oliver came in to see if he could help she shooed him away. “Go to the celebration in town Oliver, I’ve got plenty here to keep me occupied.”

“Mistrea I don’t have to go, I’m fine staying here with you.”

“Nope! Get going Ollie, and I expect a full report whenever you get home.”

He raised a brow, “I’ll be home for dinner, like always.”

“You don’t have to. I know there’ll be parties afterwards and get togethers at the local bar. Go, have fun and catch up with everyone.” She smiled, “I’ll be fine, really.”

Oliver sighed, “Are you sure?”

At that moment Kyle, Reece and Dylan came through the door, sounding like they were ready for a great day out. They saw what Mistrea was doing and all three smiled. “You’re coming tomorrow right?” asked Reece.

She laughed, “Do you seriously think I’d be doing all this baking if I wasn’t?”

“Do you want us to give you a hand taking everything tomorrow?”

Oliver answered, “We can get everything there, but we could probably use your help once we get there.”

“Okay, okay all four of you, out! Go, have a good time. Guys, I’ll see you tomorrow. Oliver why don’t you give them a lift?” when no one made a move she shooed them out of the house and reluctantly they left.

Mistrea let out a puff of air and turned back to what she was doing. She needed to keep busy and writing or cooking was the best way to do so. There was no chance that she’d be able to concentrate on writing and if she did, it would probably end up being crap then she’d need to do a re-write, so baking was a better option.

As the day went by Mistrea heard music in the distance and felt a pang of sadness at missing the parade. She’d actually been looking forward to the Founders Day celebrations, but knowing she wouldn’t be welcome at the high school at the end of the parade cut deep.

Mistrea had made the decision return go home, to reconnect with the people she should have grown up with. It was now time to tell her story, at least to those she cared about. It was also past time to confront Zac. One way or another Mistrea needed to discover why he gave up on her and if possible find a semblance of peace, so she could get on with her life.

Mistrea sighed as she thought about what she had to say to Zac. She wasn’t even sure he’d believe her, but Ollie would be there and she was fairly certain that Mae knew the truth. The fact that she’d kept her identity a secret when she arrived irked her, but she believed it was necessary. Now that she was going to come clean about who she is, she was concerned about how some people might react.

She sighed, “Kyle.” She hoped he’d understand why she hadn’t told him her true identity. Mistrea got back to work doing everything she could to keep herself occupied. Oliver called several times to check on her and offered to come home if she wanted him too. It was sweet of him, but she told him to have a good time and she wasn’t expecting him for dinner.