Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Zac let Wade take control, he got the band playing and coaxed people back to what they were doing previously. The tone was a great deal less exuberant than before, but people were slowly picking up where they’d been before Mistrea’s speech.

As Wade made his way back to Zac and grabbed hold of his arm to move towards the Pack house, Shelby came rushing towards them. He growled, but she kept coming. Wade sighed and turned to her, never letting go of his Alpha and friend. “Zac isn’t up to dealing with you right now Shelby and neither am I. Back off and leave him be.”

“No! He needs me; I can’t just leave him…”

“That wasn’t a request Shelby. Leave. Now!” He put as much authority into his voice as he could and she finally stepped back, realising he was serious. He’d never liked the woman and knew she’d be trouble in the end. Right now he hoped she’d stay away and let Zac and Mistrea sort things out.

When they got to the Pack house Wade steered Zac to his office and sat him on the old leather couch, “Stay put Zac and I’ll be right back.”

Zac gazed off into space, not really seeing or even hearing what was said to him. Wade returned a minute later, placing a glass of whiskey in his Alpha’s hand and helping him bring it to his mouth until he took control himself.

Wade watched him closely and filled his glass when it was empty. “Okay Zac, one more drink then we’ll talk… or not.” Zac still looked out of it, in shock most likely and Wade wasn’t sure if he’d be capable of discussing the situation any time soon.

Wade waited quietly as his friend and Alpha slowly began to sort through the range of emotions that were tearing at his heart and mind. He’d known Zac most of his life and it was killing him to see the pain reflected in his eyes. He had no idea what to say or do to help him so remained sitting in a chair opposite to keep an eye on him.

They sat quietly for almost thirty minutes before Zac was able to speak and it was painful to hear. “I can’t believe… I mean…” he sighed. “If I’d have known who she was, that it was her…” he shook his head a painful sob breaking through, causing his entire body to shudder in pain and loss.

“What the hell am I supposed to do now? Why didn’t she tell me… for god’s sake Wade, I thought she was dead!”

Wade nodded and relaxed somewhat, because Zac was at least speaking. “First of all, I think you need to calm down and think things through. I’m here and I’ll listen to whatever you have to say, but Zac you need to take a couple of steps back and look at the situation from Mistrea’s perspective.”

Zac glared at him, “She lied to me! She let me believe she was gone and you want me to…”

“Enough!” Wade was more than pissed, “You’re my Alpha, but right now you need a friend and I’ve been that to you for a lot of years. As your friend you need to listen to me and act according to what you’re told not what you think. Is that clear?”

Zac was more than shocked at the way Wade had spoken to him, but it did what it was meant to, it made him stop and think. He didn’t reply he gave a nod of his head and sat back, closing his eyes and waiting for Wade to have his say.

“I’d congratulate you on finding your mate, but we both know it’s likely to be some time before she’ll even accept you calling her that.” Wade ran a hand through his hair, giving him a moment to gather his thoughts further.

“Okay, this is fixable. It has to be. You’re mates and it’ll be difficult for you to stay away from each other for too long,” he shook his head. “You screwed up, majorly so, but in time and with patience and a great deal of grovelling, she may come around. Mistrea kept herself for you. That shows she still feels the bond between you.” He saw the expression on Zac’s face and scowled. “How the hell didn’t you feel her, know that she was close?”