chapter sixteen

Friday afternoon

The moment I get home from school I walk directly to the kitchen to see if mom's home yet. I haven't told her that I'm having a date with Jonathan this weekend and she doesn't really know that we're together. I guess it's about time I tell her, though I think she already figured it out.
I found her in the living room, watching tv.

"Hi mom." I say and she looks up at me and smiles.

"Hey honey!" She says and I walk over to her, letting my bag slide of off my shoulder and hit the floor before I sit down beside her. She lays her arm around my shoulder and I smile at her.

"How is my favorite daughter doing today?" She asks and I rest my head against her shoulder.

"I'm fine." I say and feel her head resting against mine.

"Any plans for the weekend?" She asks and I open my  mouth in effort to formulate one sentence out of a thousands in my mind.

"Actually-" I begin with a short pause before continuing. "Jonathan asked me out."

"Really? Why haven't you told me?" She says and you can actually hear how betrayed she feels, and somehow I found that a bit funny. I straighten up and look at her.

"I'm telling you now!" I say with a laugh and she raises her eyebrows.

"So, tell me. Are you like, together?" She asks and I can't help but feel embarrassed, though there's absolutely nothing to feel embarrassed over.

"Yeah, we are." I say and smile shyly. It feels weird but good to say it. I've never really had this talk with mom, cause I've never had like a serious relationship before until now.

"Are you going to the movies?" She asks and I nod. "When?"

"Tomorrow night." I say and then continue. "He bought tickets last week and said that they where a late birthday present and a date so, I couldn't say no."

"Oh, I'm so excited for you honey!" Mom says and I smile.

"Well, I think I need your help with dressing and all." I say and her eyes twinkle as I say that. I've never been into makeup and fashion, and mom loves that stuff so I think this is a dream coming true for her; to help her daughter getting pretty for her first, real date.

Saturday night

Mom is going crazy with the makeup. I told her I wanted something simple. She told me simple isn't good enough.

So by the time she's done, I'm surprised I can recognize myself in the mirror. She spent at least 30 minutes, putting a bunch of products on my face but, I have to give it to her, I look really pretty. It looks simple and natural.

I get dressed. Mom choose clothes for me because she's the expert in these stuff. A white crop top to wear on top and black high waisted jeans. She told me to have high heels put I chose my white converse, because I can't walk in heels. My green bomber jacket is a must, and mom agreed. Mom convinced me to let my hair fall naturally on my shoulders, and I didn't have the balls to argue with her.

Jonathan is suppose to pick me up at 6 and it's 5.58. I stand in the hallway, constantly checking the clock.

"Honey!" Mom sighs and I look up at her. I didn't even notice she came into the hallway.

"Geez mom you scared me!" I say and take a deep breath. "Why isn't he here yet?"

"Take a pill would you? He'll be here in any second. It's one minute left, give him some time." Mom says and I take another deep breath. The doorbell rings. I look at mom and she gives me two thumbs up. I turn to the door and press down the handle. Jonathan has a smile on his lips as I open up. It fades slowly as he look at me from bottom to top with his mouth half opened. We make eye contact and he exhales then smiles again.

"Wow." He says and I feel how my cheeks turn red. I hope the makeup covers it. "You're beautiful."

"You don't look too bad yourself." I mumble and smile at him. I turn to mom who stands behind of me.

"I'll see you later." I say and quickly add: "Don't wait up."

Mom smiles at me before turning to Jonathan.

"Take good care of her, Jon." She says and Jonathan nods as he opens his mouth.

"Always, ms Bailey." He answers with a smile.

~

"So, what movie?" I ask as we sit down in Jonathan's car as he starts the engine.

"I was thinking Leon the professional, but if you're not in the mood for action..." Jonathan starts but I nod and smile at him.

"I love action." I say and he smiles at me.

"I know you do." He says. I'm amazed by Jonathan. Most guys are like babies. They see women as toys and as fast as they get tired of them they through them away and choose some other toy to play with. But Jonathan's not like that. I see that in the way he looks at me. He doesn't look at me with that hunger in his eyes, well of course he does but not in inappropriate moments, like in school or in public. I remember my ex, we were together for about 2 months in 9th grade, not really a serious relationship. All he wanted to do was to make out and trying to get me to have sex with him. When I think about it, I'm not sure why I didn't break up with him earlier. But Jonathan is not like that. Just by asking me out like this makes him a thousand times more of a man then my ex in 9th grade.

~

We show our tickets to the controller and get conceded to the cinema.

"We need popcorn." Jonathan says and I fully agree. I look at him as we walk toward the shop and I smile. He looks down at me with his eyebrows a bit raised.

"What?" He asks with a short laugh and I shrug but doesn't take my eyes off if him.

"Nothing." I say, still with a smile and Jonathan stares at me for several seconds before smiling and laying his arm around my shoulder. I love when he does that. I feel safe when he keeps me close to him.

We sit down in our seats in the lounge and I take my jacket off since it'll get too warm once more people will enter the lounge. Jonathan places the popcorn between the two of us and takes a sip of his coke with the straw. I didn't take anything to drink with me, since I always have to go to the toilet in the middle of the movie.

"Sure you don't want something to drink?" Jonathan asks, looking at me with a frown.

"Yes! I've answered that question like a thousand times already." I say and laugh. Jonathan tries to keep a straight face but he can't prevent the smile that's lurking on his lips as he looks at me.

"I'm just, you know, making sure you're okey." He says and puts his arm around my shoulders while looking at me.

"I love you." I say with a smile. Jonathan gives me a half faced smile then he leans in and gives me a short kiss.

"I love you too." He mumbles which sends small vibes of happiness through my body. I smile, feeling like the happiest girl on earth.