Chapter Six

Chapter Six

I spent the next two days working.

I had fallen behind since Alexion had shown up. I had to work all through the night, and I only had cold leftovers because I wasn't sure how to use the stove and I couldn't be bothered. I didn't have too much time to eat anyway. I had to eat while working, struggling not to get food on the papers, because gods know that Hades would use it as an excuse to jump on my case.

I signed multiple forms and approvals and disapprovals. I would stop every so often to scribble some notes down in my journal, recounting the past few days.

And the longer I sat there alone, expecting Alexion to suddenly appear in my room with food, he wasn't there. I noted that too. I wasn't sure why I missed him. He was cruel. He'd hurt Blaine, and granted, Blaine was a difficult person to get accustomed to. I had to compare him to the olives he loved so much. Upon biting into an olive, no one liked the harsh, bitter flavor, but after six more olives, you started to enjoy them.

I had known Alexion had taken Blaine's blood, but it had skipped my mind of how he obtained it. I now knew the story behind that, not that it mattered.

Alexion was gone.

I was alone.

Things were back to normal...

And it hurt.

I sat at my desk, closing my journal and pinching the bridge of my nose between my thumb and forefinger. I rubbed at my face, trying to keep myself awake. It was much easier with coffee in my system, but it'd vanished the other day. Now I was struggling. I was tempted to go out and buy alcohol, but having to actually socialize and be around people kept me home.

And Alexion's words renosated in my head. I knew very well that alcohol wouldn't make me feel better... It would just help me sleep.

Something creaked and I snapped my head up with a frown, listening. There was another creak and this time, I got to my feet and went to investigate. I neared the the front door, frowning. I reached out and tore it open, going absolutely still when I saw Alexion standing there, looking startled at the suddenness of having the door opened. I stared at him, frozen.

He looked the same as when he left, except he was wearing a long sleeved black and gray V-neck and black jeans, a jacket draped over his arm and a suitcase by his legs. I looked down at it, befuddled, before looking back up at him.

"Alexion?" I asked for confirmation. He cleared his throat awkwardly, rubbing at the back of his neck.

"Sorry I was gone for so long. I didn't think it'd take this long, but my movements were arousing suspicion. I didn't want to bring any of that over here. I waited until things cooked down and grabbed some things before I came over. I would've contact you, but... Well, yeah. No phones or Internet." He admitted with a helpless shrug.

I had no idea what to say to that. I had thought he vanished, disappeared, run off to complete his goal of destroying the world or whatever it was that went on in that head of his. And yet, here he was, standing right in front of me. He was looking at me expectantly. I think he was waiting for me to let him inside, and for some reason, I did. I stepped aside and he gave me a short nod before he entered with his suitcase. I closed the door behind him, still staring at his back as he scanned the living room with a scowl.

"Why is it cold in here?" He asked. I looked at him, still confused.

"I... don't know how the stove works... It went out a couple hours after you left." I murmured. I wasn't sure how I should reply to him, or even greet him. Alexion just sighed heavily, tossing his jacket on the sofa and rolling up the sleeves of his shirt.