Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

"You... captured him?" I managed.

Hades nodded, nonchalantly plopping down on my sofa, pausing to wrinkle his nose at it and pushing down on the cushions before snapping his fingers. The sofa changed from the old fashioned velvet Victorian to a modern black leather L-shaped sofa that ran along the front window.

"You really need to step into modern conveniences," Hades chided me, scanning the room with obvious distaste, "It's so run down and old in here. It's like you're eternally trapped in the fifties." I couldn't believe he was trying to discuss my decorating skill after what he'd just told me.

But Hades was crafty. He was up to something. I could only guess that Hades knew about Alexion's staying here and that was why he'd come to throw it in my face before insulting my interior design. I wasn't sure how he wanted me to react, however, or what would give it all away. I had no idea how Hades even figured it out in the first place, but I should have known. Nobody could hide anything from Hades. He was the god of the Underworld, a son of Cronus, and brother of Zeus.

"Why did you come here?" I decided to ask, playing it safe. Hades didn't look at me as he scanned the old wooden coffee table and snapped his fingers, turning it into a sleek glass with black coasters that looked like scorched skulls. It almost made me cringe.

"I came here to inform you of what's happened, and what was discussed on Olympus. You know very well that you have to know the new rules and information Zeus decided to come up with one night while fucking a nymph." Hades responded, making me grimace at his crudity.

My heart was still racing a hundred miles an hour, however. Alexion had been captured, and was now back in Hades's dungeon. What about Akin? Had he found out about Akin holding him at his apartment? Did he know about the relationship between Alexion and I? What was he going to do? Was this his way of threatening me? It was driving me insane and my paranoia kept mounting.

"Nothing's actually changed," Hades said dryly, frowning as he looked up at the old light fixtures in the house and snapped his fingers, changing them from the old electrical twin bulbs to elaborate chandeliers made of gold, "Zeus mostly took the chance to rant and rave about all his problems. As if he's the one with all the major problems. He's not the one trying to corral a bunch of stupid little boys into keeping the world safe from Titans. I should just send you all over to him and then see how he likes it. Maybe I'll get some peace and quiet for once in my life." I tried not to get angry at that.

Hades often came here to rant about things, something all his siblings did. However, it was when he started insulting myself and my brothers is when I wished I could kill him. He had no idea how difficult it was. He thought trying to "keep us in order" was hard? How about fighting Titans and other rogue gods and trying to save the world?

Of course, I said none of this. Yelling at my brothers and yelling at Hades were two completely different things. Yelling at my brothers just upset them and worried them. Yelling at Hades would result in disembowelment, something I wasn't too interested in.

"I returned and happened to get a call that Alexion had been spotted in Styx," Hades continued, making me bit my lip nervously, "He was at one of those stupid clubs Cerberus likes so much. He put up a fight, that one, but nothing I couldn't handle. I broke his arms in the process and ordered my guards to start feeding him grigora. I may just keep him at my place than throwing him at Zelios. Gods know Zelios will take pity on the pathetic creature and lower his dosage without informing me." I gritted my teeth, trying not to chatter my tea cup. Instead, I put it down to avoid busting it open as I carefully approached Hades, who sat back on the sofa, his arms tossed over the back of it. He was staring out the window silently now.