Chapter 04: Dump And Done Ramen Salad

The models dropped their stuff in their lockers and took their places around the circle of kitchen stations.

Jenna welcomed them as she made sure her phone was connected to the school's a/v system. She swiped her screen a few times to bring up a picture on the flat screen TVs that were hung around the room. It was a picture of a bowl of noodles.

"OK," Jenna said. "This sounds weird. This sounds like a bad idea but you have to trust me. Today we're going to make Dump And Done Ramen Salad."

Skeptical looks all around the room. Jasmine made a quiet retching sound.

"Is that really the name? That's a bad name," Nadia said.

"I know. You are welcome to bring that up with Chrissy. This is a bizarre recipe but like a lot of things in life it's one of those situations where you have to set aside your preconceived whatevers. It makes no sense on paper but IRL it's one of the most amazing things you have ever tasted. I'm sure there's a symbolic lesson tucked away somewhere in there." Jenna shrugged. "Anyways. I sent the recipe to your phones. Head back to the pantry and find your ingredients."

A few minutes later the models trailed out for the pantry with their little baskets full of ingredients, which they began arranging on their stations.

"OK, so," Jenna began, clapping her hands together. "You have two bowls. Open up your ramen packets and crumble them up into the first bowl."

"WAIT, WHAT? RAMEN? SHUT UP!" someone shouted. Everyone turned and saw Chrissy running in, trailed closely by her bulldog Puddy. Chrissy leaned over the nearest station, which happened to be Barbie's. "What are we doing? Are we making what I think we're making? SHUT UP ARE WE DUMP AND DONE-ING IT?"

"OK hard pass on that phrase," Barbie said.

"Shut up. Yes. I'm making some too. Hang on. Let me get my ingrediments." Chrissy skittered off towards the pantry. Puddy hung back, looking slightly too tired to follow along.

"Aren't you supposed be doing something?" Jenna called after Chrissy. "Like reconciling the orders from last week? Remember how we received all kinds of stuff we didn't order and didn't receive all kinds of stuff we did order?"

"Yeah yeah yeah," Chrissy shouted back from inside the pantry. "Relax, I'll get to it. This is important."

"This is not that important."

"SHUT UP RAMEN IS ALWAYS THE MOST IMPORTANT," Chrissy responded.

Puddy found a spot of sunlight along the windows and plopped down on the floor, sighing.

"Me too, bud," Jenna said.

Chrissy emerged from the pantry, balancing the various ingredients in her arms. She crowded up next to Kendall, playfully hip-checking her over. "I'm making some too. Shut up. Move over."

"OK if Chrissy's ready for us to start our class that began ten minutes ago, let's just get going."

Chrissy did her best you can't possibly be talking about me look. "I'm super ready, personally speaking. Just waiting on some instructions."

"Two bowls," Jenna said, beginning again. "Open your ramens. Set the seasoning packets aside, those are for later. Crush the noodles up into a bowl, then add one cup of thinly slice red onion. That's one cup. That amount should be very familiar to you at this point, I think Shalom drilled you on cups this morning. After the onion we'll just toss in the other veggies—your broccoli slaw, your frozen peas, your corn."

Everyone hustled to keep up with Jenna's instructions. Kendall felt like she was doing OK until she got to the corn part.

"Ummm, wait where's my corn?" Kendall asked.