Chapter 09: Doritos In The Wind

Previously on CTCS4WM: Test Day was interrupted by a power outage. Jenna & Kendall went to the pantry to get the electricity back on, and then we heard screams and explosions.

[A/N: PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO THE THING CHRISSY DOES IN THIS CHAPTER. IT IS VERY VERY DANGEROUS.]

~*~*~*~

Chrissy was up and running towards the pantry, the stool skittering away behind her, before the scream and the noise from the explosion had even ended.

The pantry was still enrobed in darkness but from the few fingers of light that stretched in from the kitchen she could tell that it had been reduced to utter chaos.

"Hello? You guys?" she called, as the other models crowded in the doorway behind her. Everyone lit up their phones and stepped into the pantry. As their swung the lights from one side to another they saw glimpses of a disaster. The stainless steel tables and shelves that had once held beautifully arranged displays of almost every kind of food imaginable were all tossed and toppled. Fruits and vegetables were covered powders and glass shards from the spice rack. The breakfast cereals had exploded and mixed with flour and corn starch and pancake mix and maple syrup and 9 different kinds of dried pasta. What looked like blood and entrails slashed violently across the walls turned out to be a surprising variety of barbecue sauces and mustards.

The smell from all these foods smashing into each other was brutal. Ordinarily the pantry smelled light and lovely; a little pomegranate here, some fresh lemon and almond slivers there. Now anchovies mixed with dill pickle juice and Cream of Mushroom soup and the stench was oppressive and nauseating.

The women made their way deeper into the room, stepping carefully over upturned shelving units, a momentary sadness pinging Chrissy's heart as she stepped over a smoked gouda that had been covered in oyster sauce, thinking of the snacks that would no longer be.

Chrissy dragged an upended table out of the way and there, slumped against each other in the far corner of the room, were Jenna and Kendall.

A series of worried gasps escaped the lips of the younger models as they saw their friends lying there motionless, their arms and faces streaked with ash. But Chrissy stepped forward, moving quietly and efficiently, like any mom in a crisis. Both Jenna and Kendall's eyes were closed, their clothes torn or singed in places. Chrissy knelt and checked their pulses. They were both alive, although non-responsive to her touch. They were lying at odd angles, with Kendall half on top of Jenna. Chrissy gently and carefully began to separate them and lay them out more comfortably.

"I need more light," Chrissy said.

The models winged their flashlights around until one hit upon the open door of the circuit panel.

"Here, I'll check the breakers," Nadia said.

Chrissy whipped around and shot out her hand. "Do not touch that!" The models all froze, afraid to move. "I need something else. Doritos. Find me Doritos. As much as you can."

Ordinarily this request would have been met with sarcastic comments or at least suspicious looks, but not now. Everyone was confused about what was happening and terrified about Jenna and Kendall and thankful to have someone in charge telling them what to do.

"Here!" Barbie called. The models went to her and kicked broken jars of peanut butter and jelly and Nutella and salsa verde out of the way to get to the piles of chips. The bags of Doritos were unopened but wet- some bottles of Polar seltzer had exploded nearby. They grabbed as many bags as they quickly could and returned as Chrissy lifted a table back into place and wiped her hands across the surface to clear it.