ONE

O N Ed a l l a s

O N E
d a l l a s

When Dallas walked onto poolside for the first time in weeks she was welcomed back by all her team mates, but she knew they were only happy she was back because she was the star swimmer. Dallas was good at what she did because she loved it. She loved the water and she loved the rush of it as it washed over you at the dive. The best part was the adrenaline of the race and the joy of victory. So when she told her coach she wasn't going to be able to make the swim meet that weekend, he was shocked.

"What? But we need you, Dallas, you're the captain! You're the star!" He exclaimed. His booming voice echoed around the room, causing Dallas to wince slightly. But only slightly. Dallas wasn't easily shaken.

"I'm sorry, Coach," She said. "I just need some time to train. I promise I'll definitely come to the next one." And there was something about the way she smiled afterwards that could have made even the most perceptive being believe every single flick of her tongue.

"Alright," He sighed. "Alright, just get in and train before we're out of time."

Dallas nodded as she pulled her goggles down over her eyes. "I promise and you know I never break promises!" She told him as she stepped up onto the diving blocks. And when she dived in, not giving him a chance to respond, the rush of the cool water over her skin was undeniably the best feeling in the world.

-

She couldn't say she'd missed it because, despite not being in school for weeks, Dallas had been keeping up with her swimming. It was the only thing keeping her from going under after all.

She swam and she swam. Her limbs moving in routine. Within the rest periods, she did not speak to her team mates. Some asked where she'd been, but she ignored them like they weren't even there.

It wasn't until she was in the showers afterwards, one hand on the wall and her head bowed down to let the water run along her back, that the boldest girl approached.

Allison was a pretty girl. Her features were distinctively Chinese, thanks to her father. She was slender. Not thin, but athletic and strong.

She approached Dallas meekly, stepping into the shower beside her and pressing the button to release the warm water.

"Did you go on holiday?" Allison asks and looks at Dallas with her prying eyes.

Eyes that made Dallas want to scream. Composed, Dallas turns her face up into the stream of water and let's it run down her, running off her chin and down her aching body.