SEVENTEEN

SEVENTEENd a l l a s

SEVENTEEN
d a l l a s

The plane ride was spent sat in first class with a book in hand and music playing in her ears, filling the silence. And, although the journey was long, Dallas could hardly sleep. The anticipation of what her dad had to say to her was too much. If he'd been so desperate to fly her over, it must be something big.

Pulling her luggage behind her, she walks to the arrivals lounge to meet her dad. He promised he'd be waiting for her, but as she walks in she couldn't see him anywhere. Instead, there was a small man in a suit holding a sign up that read: Dallas Edlen.

Sighing, Dallas walks over to him. He smiles when he sees her. "It's been a long time, Derek," She says. "But I guess that doesn't matter to him, does it? Couldn't even take a few hours away from his work to meet his only remaining child."

"Don't be like that," Derek tells her, pulling her into one of his warm hugs. "You know he loves you. You're the reason he works: to give you everything you could ever want."

"I don't want money, I want a dad," She mumbles into his chest, not caring if he heard her or not. Forcing a smile, she pulls out of the hug. "Right, let's get going."

"Of course, Dallas." Derek takes her suitcase from her, pulling it behind them as they walk out of the airport. He saw her for how she really was: alone. But there was something different about the way she spoke so honestly this time that lacked her usual playfulness. It sounded real.

-

Derek steals looks at her as he drives them back to the house. She sat in the plush leather seat, staring out of the window with her sunglasses concealing whatever emotion painted her face in an intricate design. A masterpiece that made Derek wonder why her father neglected her so, why her mother ripped it to shreds.

"I'm ok," Dallas utters, not looking at him. "You don't need to keep looking at me as if I'm going to hurl myself out of the car."

"I wasn't- I'm sorry, Dallas, but normally you're more talkative than this," He apologises.

"I guess I've just run out of things to say. There isn't much to say anymore that you don't already know."

"I've got to ask, Nicola will kill me if I don't," He says, laughing slightly uncomfortably. Dallas smiles slightly at the mention of Nicola, her sweet aunt with the red lipstick and bright smile. "Are you still with James?"

"If she's wondering that badly, I suppose I can spare her an answer." Dallas looks down at her hands, remembering home, remembering and, surprisingly, finding herself missing Simon. There was something about the way he listened to her that made her feel a sense of belonging. If there was anywhere in life that she would like to start again, it would be with Simon and this time she wouldn't neglect him so. "The answer is no, I'm not still with James."

"She'll be pleased with that answer," Derek tells her, nodding his head slightly.

"I'm pleased with it too, but now I suppose she'll want me to come for tea with her to explain? Tell her I can come tomorrow at three."

"She will be delighted to see you, Dallas, as am I," Derek grins. "It's been such a long time and the girls will be too. Willa is always asking when you're coming to visit. She'll be pleased to see you. You'll have to take her out, Dallas, she'll adore that."

"I would be more than happy to," Dallas replies honestly. Willa was two years younger than her, but the girl didn't feel a day younger. They hadn't seen each other in almost a year now and Dallas had to admit that she'd missed her a lot. Willa was always the one she'd rant to when James and her argued, but recently they'd fallen out of touch. Perhaps reconnection would be good for her. "If Amy wants to come, she can."

"Amy is all over the place at the moment. We never know where she is half the time."

"I'll persuade her to come."

"Thank you, it's good to have you here even if it is only for one month."

"It's good to be back in LA, even if it is on such bad terms."

"I'm sure everything will work out."

"Yeah?"

"Your dad is a smart man, he'll work it all out for you."

"I hope so."

-

derek is such a sweet uncle im dying. also! it would be cool if you guys left some comments about what you think is going to happen next! i'd love to hear your opinions! <3