CHAPTER 3 - part 2 - GRIEF

GRIEF

Physically, Mahesh was fit, overlooking a few bruises and general fatigue. But, Mohan had never seen his brother so broken. The anguish on his face when Indu asked about her "little Devu" was something Mohan would never forget.

Trying to mask it all valiantly, Mahesh explained how he had gone in search of Nidhi just before the train derailed and how both were thrown out into the water the moment the coach plummeted into the river. Thanks to the swimming lessons he had taken during his childhood, he could save himself and Nidhi, who survived with just a twisted ankle and a few scratches here and there.

But the moment Nidhi realized the baby was not with them, she started struggling and even demanded him to take her back to the train. The hospital staff had to use sedatives on her while they moved the couple to a camp meant for those with minor injuries. That was where Mohan and family found Mahesh and Nidhi. 

It was a nasty shock, realizing the baby was not with her parents. But his parents somehow held back their emotions, realising the need of the hour. Arvind and Indu readily took control and offered to stay with Nidhi and take care of her while the brothers went in search of their granddaughter.

Mohan and Mahesh went to all nearby hospitals and enquired about the one-month old girl. No one had any similar cases except one hospital:

"Well, a one month old baby girl was admitted here along with her mother. It seemed the baby's father was not with them. The baby's mother had saved her quite heroically and had broken her hand in the process. But sadly in spite of that, the baby sustained a head injury. The grandparents arrived this morning and the baby was transferred to Chennai for better treatment. They left just half an hour ago."

Mahesh got out of the hospital completely defeated without a word. Mohan quickly thanked the staff and ran to join his brother:

"We will file a complaint in the police station, Bhayya. It's their duty.  And we'll try by ourselves also. I will put all my friends to it right away." Mohan offered as they walked in the direction of Police Station as indicated by the local people. After a few moments, Mahi finally broke his silence.

"I know I shouldn't give up hope and all that, but Mohan, I feel like she is gone." Mahesh spoke, without facing Mohan.

"It's your fear speaking now, don't let-"

Mahi raised his hand to stop his brother's words and then turned to face him:

"I saw people drift away, Mohan. I had to watch many, shouting for help, being dragged away... the river's current was strong even though the water was less... and I couldn't save a single life other than my wife's. But you know what, at that moment, I didn't care... I didn't care for anyone else and was frantically looking around for Nanhi.. If I had tried, I'm sure I could've saved at least one more.... But I didn't try ....I just thought of my family... I should've realized that while I let others be drifted away from the safety of land, my own child also could have the same fate...."

Mohan was at a loss of words after his brother's outburst. Mahi didn't want any reply either : he headed straight for the police station. And Mohan followed.

They filed a complaint at police station, but Mohan feared deep inside whether it would be only one among a hundred others. 

Nidhi soon woke from her sedation and it took the combined effort of Mahi and Indu to make her accept reality. Everyone thought a change of scene would be good for the couple and hence, they decided to return to Kochi the next evening itself. It was dawn by the time they reached home. 

As he watched the sunrise, a sight he usually missed due to his late-rising habit, Mohan thought about the new-born baby he never got to meet. He stood alone in the terrace, staring at the magnificent plethora of colors on the horizon created by the new-born sun, and grieved his loss.

                                **********************                          

Megha and family couldn't find out anything about the baby's parents before they started for Chennai. They didn't let that hinder their journey and came to Chennai with her and admitted her in the Hospital. The little one needed a surgery, and was kept in the hospital for about two weeks. 

The morning after their return from Chennai, as soon as Megha came down to the living room and occupied the sofa, Mahi began asking about Nanhi's parents and how Megha had met them again.  

"You spoke about cooking, films, schools and songs, but didn't ask her full name or where she lives?" Mahi questioned her.

"Well, her name is Nidhi. She is a software professional from the US returning to Kerala with her kid. That's all I know." Megha said, a little ashamed.

"You are unbelievable, Didi." Mahi declared bluntly.

 "What?" asked an ashamed yet angry Megha.

"I mean, unbelievably stupid." Mahi made his thoughts crystal clear.

"Mahi........" Megha's warning tone made him get up from the sofa.

"I'm going to play with Nanhi, she might've woken up." He scurried out of the living room quickly.

The records in hospitals required the baby's name and Mahi was the one who suggested the name "Nanhi". Seeing how the name fit the tiny baby, everyone agreed readily.

Ved, who had witnessed the whole exchange between brother and sister, approached Megha and placed his hand on her head comfortingly. Megha closed her eyes and let out a sigh.

"Well, you see Megha, your brother has a point there... but still, we'll go to Trichy tomorrow to find out about Nanhi's parents." her father said.

Megha smiled in agreement. Soon after having breakfast, she went to Nanhi's room. She was sleeping among blankets, with a slight smile gracing her baby lips. Megha felt a pang in her heart at the thought of handing over the little one - she has sort of become their family by now. They will miss her a lot... Then, Megha thought about Nidhi's condition. If Nidhi and her husband were alive, what would be the pain they were experiencing right now?

"I would do the right thing and return their precious little one as soon as possible." Megha gathered herself and decided.

                   *******************************

*Bhayya - brother

*Didi - sister

*Nanhi - tiny, small