CHAPTER 47 - part1 - ON THE BANKS

CHAPTER 74 ON THE BANKS 

Mohan could hear Guru humming happily as he packed his bag: they were granted permission to leave the next morning. The substitutes would be arriving and their salary accounts would be cleared by evening. Mohan couldn't share Guru's ecstasy and sat on his bed, folding his shirts half-heartedly with his right hand, not daring to disturb the left one, still in the sling.  

After that embarrassing incident at hospital, he didn't get any opportunity to speak to Megha alone: either Nanhi, his Papa or Guru were with them always. Hence, he was yet to hold the conversation he had promised her long back at the railway station and he felt he shouldn't delay it any more: he needed to learn what was going through her mind. 

When are you going to do that, Mohan? There's not much time left. Tell her you are going away tomorrow and have to talk to her today itself. 

"Bhayya, you are to come home with me this evening. My family has arranged a small party to celebrate Grand Ma's birthday, my homecoming and your promotion, of course." 

How would I meet Megha then?  

Mohan racked his brain thinking how to put forth a reasonable excuse. 

"Don't worry that you'll be bored without company! I'm inviting your little friend and her Chachi too. After all, we are all friends now, aren't we?" Guru winked. 

Mohan's heart soared with joy, but not wanting to have his legs pulled, he bowed his head and began folding his shirt meticulously. 

"Good." He replied noncommittally, biting his cheeks to hide the grin that was threatening to spread. 

************************** 

Guru's home was located in a picturesque location about an hour from the city, on the banks of the Kaveri river. Majority of the inhabitable land along the banks had belonged to his forefathers years ago. As it was passed down the family tree through several generations, the extent of the property had diminished. Still, no one would call the plot having about five houses spaced out lavishly, small. There was even a vast and beautiful area facing the river common to everyone with several swings hung from tamarind trees. The most attractive part of the establishment, according to Mohan, was that everyone lived in perfect harmony. 

Mohan didn't know how Guru convinced Megha to come all the way to his home, but she reached along with Nanhi within five minutes of their own arrival. Opting to be traditional in the rural area, she wore a simple kurtha and churidar along with a shawl draped around her upper body. Nanhi was dressed in one of her cotton frocks, with hair in two plaits. All three of them were welcomed warmly by Guru's family. The children gathered around Nanhi, eager to add her to their game. Although she hid behind Megha at first, Nanhi soon took a liking to them and joined in their game. 

"There will be a little delay in laying down the table. A little more arrangements remain." Guru approached them and said apologetically. 

"Can I help in any way?" Megha asked immediately. 

"Oh, no, no! That would hurt their pride. Why don't you two roam around the garden till then? I'll call you once everything is ready." Guru suggested and looked at Mohan meaningfully. 

The clever rascal! He too seemed to have learned to read my mind. 

Mohan thought as he assured Guru that he and Megha would be all right in the garden. Megha didn't contradict him and followed him as he led the way, seemingly lost in her thoughts. 

The sun had set, leaving the horizon and the river that reflected it, in shades of red, orange and pink. Mohan walked on quite a bit and stopped when he reached the half-wall separating the immediate river bank from the garden. It was well out of earshot of everyone and yet, he could keep an eye on Nanhi and the kids among the trees. Satisfied with the location, he turned to Megha and found that she was still in some other world.