A Place to Sleep

"I... I'm just not sure..." Nino's mother was saying quietly, her hands twisted together in front of her as she faced two of the superheroes who had saved her sons life. Ladybug and Cat Noir stood a respectful distance away, standing near Nino farther into the home and more towards the hallway where Nino's bedroom could be found.

Cat Noir spoke gently and sincerely, laying a hand on Nino's shoulder as he spoke. "We wouldn't put your son at risk, we are being honest with you."

"The circumstances have changed," Ladybug said vaguely, taking a step forward to hold the mother's hands in her own. "He's no longer in danger any more than any other citizen might be with that monster around. But Cat Noir and I will not stop until he is gone. And we have a new ally as well."

Nino looked up, eyes widened slightly in surprise as Cat Noir spoke up.

"You have nothing to worry about. There are now three heroes in Paris, and together we will keep everyone safe, including your son. But for now you can go about your lives like normal. It's about time Nino went back to school."

"Yes," Ladybug agreed, dropping the mother's hands to gesture towards Nino. "He'll fall behind if he's out much longer, and we express again that the threat has passed. He can go back to his normal life, seeing his friends and going out. We understand your apprehension but we'd never ask this of you if we weren't one hundred percent certain that things had changed."

Nino's mother was still, her brow furrowed as she thought, concern clear in her eyes when she looked at her son. But finally she sighed, closing her eyes and slowly nodding her head before saying, "Okay... I trust you. I just... wouldn't be able to bear it if something happened to him again... or anyone else's children." She looked up, golden eyes hard and charged with emotion. "Please don't let something like this happen to anyone else. I know you'll do your best."

Nino watched as his friends nodded, taking the sentiment seriously. Then Cat Noir looked down at him, winking before saying "You're in the clear buddy. You haven't been let out in what, six days? You should go get some sun."

Nino laughed, rolling his eyes a bit before saying, "Actually as it so happens I was going to go hang out with my friend Adrien for a while."

"Oh!" Cat Noir exclaimed dramatically, Ladybug sighing much to the mother's confusion. "Well isn't that perfect! Make sure to tell him hello for me when you see him, I hear he's a charming guy."

"Eh," Nino said with a shrug, smirking as he said, "He can kind of be a loser sometimes."

Ladybug snorted, her hand shooting up to cover her mouth as Cat Noir gasped dramatically, so she quickly stepped over to grab him by the shoulder to start dragging him towards the door.

"W-we have somewhere to go," Ladybug said between bouts of laughter as Cat Noir grumbled, glaring at Nino for a moment before dropping the act with a chuckle, winking at him as he opened the door.

"Thank you for your hospitality!" Ladybug said just before they left, both heroes waving before exiting through the front door, leaving Nino in the apartment alone with his mother.

"They are certainly characters aren't they?" she said with a laugh, the sound subdued slightly. Nino looked up at her to see her staring at the wall in distant thought, her eyes heavy.

"Mom?" Nino asked quietly, taking a step towards her and putting a hand on her shoulder. "They said I'm gonna be okay now. I'll be alright."

"I know honey..." she said slowly, eyes closing. "It was just so awful." Her hands rose to her face, covering her mouth for a moment before she lifted them to say, "You can never imagine what it's like until you have children of your own. To walk into your son's bedroom with glass all over... your child snatched from hi-" her voice faltered and Nino saw tears start to overflow, his chest aching in guilt and pain.