The Weighted Mantle

Nino tucked his legs beneath him, heart still hammering as he forced himself to take in his surroundings. His default state was to stare at the floor mat and wait until things started making sense, but for the few sparing moments he was alone he tried to take it in.

He lifted his head, one hand tilting back the brim of his hat so he could look above him too at the humble vaguely Chinese home. It had hints of the man's culture strewn around in things like floor mats, low tables and long screens separating the rooms where he did his business and his home. He was in the main room as far as he could tell, a screen on the far wall suggesting a kitchen of sorts or maybe a bedroom, Nino left alone to sit near a long low table and a TV set that was dark.

It was so... weird. Something was driving him crazy. Being in this guy's house at all was weird but somehow he knew that wasn't it. It was something else like... He imagined it was what dog whistles must be like for dogs. Maybe not that, that wasn't a good comparison, he couldn't figure it out. There was just something about the room that made him feel... weird. Not even bad or uncomfortable just weird, just something. It made him feel... amped, but calm? It was so distracting, he kept glancing around the room like something was going to jump out at him and make it clear, like a stereo pumping out inaudible feedback that was driving him crazy.

Nino flinched when he heard a laugh from the other side of the screen, gradually drawing closer and bringing with it the sound of quiet conversation. Nino fidgeted awkwardly, finding the image of seeing Wayzz confidently out in the open with anyone other than the trio unnerving. But it wasn't like this guy was exactly out of the know... his gaze drifted down to the bracelet on his wrist before he looked back up at Fu as the old man settled down to sit beside him.

Nino swallowed, eyes shifting between his kwami and his predecessor as they faced him and he was reminded vaguely of a parent teacher conference where they team up to teach you stuff.

Jesus this was intimidating.

"Relax Nino," Fu said with a chuckle, that same shine in his eyes as he extended a cup of tea Nino hadn't seen him holding. "It is nice to finally see you here."

"T-thank you," Nino stammered, taking the cup gently and looking down at the steaming green liquid before sipping it gingerly, not liking tea much but not wanting to be rude. It was alright actually.

No one spoke for a moment, Nino sweating bullets for a while until Fu laughed again, mostly to himself. Wayzz chuckled too.

"I've wanted you to meet Master Fu for a while now," Wayzz started, floating between the two of them off to the side slightly to create a triangle like shape. "There is no one better to answer your questions."

"Um, it's an honor sir," Nino said, nodding his head. "I've wanted the chance to thank you, for saving my life. I would have been screwed if you hadn't shown up to help Cat and Ladybug. Thank you."

"No thanks are needed," he said with a smile, setting aside his own cup for a moment. "It was your strength that turned the tide in that cathedral." His eyes practically twinkled as he chuckled. "I merely helped."

Nino laughed a little breathlessly, looking away and shaking his head. "I would have been dead man you say it like you turtle bashing Hawkmoth didn't totally save my life."

"Well maybe," he allowed, grinning at Nino when the boy met his eyes again.

There was a small pause as Nino looked down to have a staring match with his cup and Fu waited patiently, most likely perfectly aware of what Nino wanted to ask. The boy searched for the words, watching the steam for a while before Fu eventually spoke for him.