Things Unsaid

Nino hesitated outside of Master Fu's home, waiting with his back to the outer wall for Fu's last customer of the day to clear out. He could hear voices just beyond the door, chatting idly as the patron was walked out. He didn't attempt to overhear, he had no reason too or interest, not that he would have had the peace of mind to even try. His thoughts flickered between headings and facts he had done his best to memorize as the door opened, a slender woman stepping out in his peripheral and thanking the man who walked her out.

"Have a good day Madame," Fu said with a smile, watching her leave for a moment as if to ensure space before he turned and looked at Nino. "Right on time young man, a good start. Come in."

Nino pushed off the wall, moving quickly to obey and stepping inside. When the door swung shut and the locked clicked into space the small professional space seemed to age, hung suddenly with importance and calm far more ancient then its walls. Nino was made aware again of that familiar building pressure as they stepped from the hallway to Fu's workspace, an intangible force and inaudible sound resonating from the far wall. It wasn't pecking or pestering like it had been before, but it was still there, aware of his presence as much as he was aware of its.

Nino tensed when he felt his cap get knocked slightly askew, reacting naturally to having Wayzz fly away from him but he relaxed about as quickly, smiling as he watched his kwami greet its old master.

"Hello old friend," Fu said warmly, cradling Wayzz in one hand as he smiled down at him. "Have you been well?"

"Yes master," he answered happily, turning to gesture to Nino who had moved to examine the chest where the stones lay hidden. "He's been working incredibly hard, you'll be pleased with his progress."

"I'm sure he's been diligent," Fu looked over at his student who was absorbed with his own thoughts before lowering his voice. "Though he looks burdened. Is all well?"

Wayzz's smile dropped a little, the kwami holding the old man's gaze when it returned to him. "He's had a lot going on, and no small part of his anxiety stems from his training today. I hope that going through a lesson will ease his worries some."

"Ah, I should have assumed as much." Fu nodded his head, looking up and calling out to the boy across the room. "Come Nino, sit. Let's talk."

Nino looked up sharply, apprehension clear in his eyes but he shook it off quickly, moving to a place opposite Master Fu before sitting cross legged on the ground. Fu joined him, perhaps a little stiffly but Nino made no comment, instead sitting patiently.

"Show me where you are," Fu instructed, gesturing to Nino's bag and smiling as Nino hurried to gently pull free the ancient book that had been his guide.

"I haven't made it very far..." Nino admitted a bit sheepishly, turning about fifteen or so pages in from the cover. Each page was densely packed with lettering and segmented passages, having slowed his down tremendously. "Working through chunk by chunk is slow."

Fu turned the book with one hand, humming as he looked over the page Nino had landed on. He flipped quickly through what Nino claimed to have accomplished, and to Nino's surprise he beamed.

"These are some very important passages you've gone through already young man, do not be displeased with your work. The book covers more time than most history books ever penned, and much more completely. There is far more here than many would assume." Fu turned the book back to face Nino, folding his hands in his lap. "It is important to remember the key points it teaches. Tell me, what are the main things you recall? And what makes you believe they are of consequence."

"All of it seems important," Nino said slowly, looking down at the book and wondering if it would be cheating to flip through. "I was surprised to learn how important the stones have been to history, I knew they were old but I didn't put it together that they would have been used to turn the tide in major events. Miraculous wielders have decided to outcome of wars and the survival of empires, which maybe I should have guessed but..."