Babysitting

I put my toilet bag and a book inside my backpack and finally zipped it. Maybe it weighed too much, but I've always been a cautious girl and, well, you never know what could happen in that house over the night. It's not that I didn't trust that little boy, but last time I stayed with him, my shirt ended up covered in purple paint.

I tidied up my desk, closing the laptop and putting the notes and textbooks aside and then re-did my braids and wore my watch. I was ready to leave then. I took my backpack and left my room, closing the door behind me and ran downstairs.

"Mum, I'm leaving" I shouted through the corridor as I put on my coat. She came to the door and handed me a paper bag which gave off a sweet smell.

"Take this with you" she commanded. "Frau Vettel loves them" I nodded and placed them on my backpack before opening the door. "Goodnight, Häschen. Be nice" she smiled and closed the front door.

I took my bicycle and rode through the old streets of Heppenheim. The sun was setting and the sky had those twilight colours I've always loved. I smiled to myself, daydreaming about sunsets on the beach and a handsome blue-eyed boy... Yes, I truly missed him. However, he didn't know and I hoped he never did.

My thoughts were interrupted once I reached the gate. I got off my bike and walked towards the door, knocked on it and waited until someone finally opened it for me. My cheeks turned red when those blue eyes I had been thinking about on my way there stared at me with a huge smile.

"Hey, Claudia. What are you doing here?" he pulled me into a tight hug. I closed my eyes absentminded, letting myself enjoy his scent. Why was he in town? Moreover, why was he in town and hadn't told me anything? I had to remind myself that we were just friends or even acquaintances, so he had no reason to let me know he was there.

"I-I... c-came to..." I stuttered as he pulled back and looked at me again. Oh lord, those eyes were making my legs tremble. Fortunately, his mother appeared beside him and saved me.

"We were waiting for you" she said, standing next to his son. "We were going to call you to tell you didn't need to come tonight has Sebastian had finally made some time to come home and he could take care of Fabian, but he insisted he was too tired to watch him alone. You don't mind, do you?" she asked, inviting me to enter the house.

For him I would go to Berlin and back on foot, I thought, but I just nodded and took off my coat. Seb hanged it on the coat rack near the door and then walked with me to the room I was staying, carrying my backpack because, like he said, he was a gentleman.

"So, you're just here to make sure my brother survives tonight?" he said as he opened the door of the guest room and left my things on the bed.

"I guess" I shrugged and watched him sat on the edge of the bed and stretched his arms.

"Good, because I don't think I could handle that little demon alone" he laughed. "I may even fall asleep before him and that could be dangerous. By the way" he approached my backpack and smelled it. "What do you have here? It smells like Heaven."

"Oh" I opened it and grabbed the paper bag. "These are for your mother. Mum always says she loves her cookies"

"So do I" he took the bag out of my hands and picked one of the cookies as he stood up. "I'll take them downstairs while you change and all those things girls do. I'll meet you in the kitchen" I didn't have time to answer him. He made my brain go slower. Well, he made my whole self go slower. I couldn't understand what he made to me. It was like my world revolved around him when he was around. I could only think about his lips and how kissable they looked. Some nights, I closed my eyes and pictured his hands caressing my hair, his mouth kissing my temples, my cheeks, my shoulders... I sighed as I put on my pyjamas and a hoodie. He was definitely out of my league. However, dreaming was still free, wasn't it? I re-did my braids again as I walked down the stairs, at least I wanted to cause him a good impression.