Love makes you stupid

"Right." Sid planted his feet and dropped into the snow, digging away until there was a hole behind him as he fell into the pocket. He pulled out his flash light and looked around, pausing as the beam flashed across the two teens. "They're here!" He called up before he ran over to them while the others cleared away more snow. Spirit dropped in next and ran over, stopping in his tracks seeing his daughter wrapped in Soul's jacket and sitting across his lap as he leaned against the snow wall in just a long sleeved shirt. "They're still alive, but they're unconscious." Sid said as he checked them.

Spirit moved closer and saw how blue Soul looked compared to Maka as he held her tight in his arms. As he bent down to take his daughter Soul mumbled. His red eyes opened and he tried to focus on whoever was in front of him. "M-Maka, s-she's hurt b-bad and. I-I can't l-let anything happen to-to h-her." Spirit could see the worry and fear on Soul's face.

"She's safe now." Spirit said as he reached out and touched the young death scythe's shoulder. "We're going to get you both out of here and warmed up." Soul's head dropped back down as he lost consciousness again and Spirit pulled his hands apart to get Maka out.

"Wrap them in the rope and we'll pull you guys up." Nygus called down as she dropped a rope down. Sid helped Spirit wrap a rope around himself and Maka before stepping in the little loop at the bottom and Stein and Nygus slowly hoisted the two up.

Sid went over and pulled Soul up on his back before the others dropped the rope back down. "Whe-where's Maka?" Soul mumbled as he came to again.

"She's up with the others." Sid told him. Soul had always been a trouble maker, but Sid did have a soft spot for the kid, especially now, seeing how hard Soul was trying to fight to stay conscious to make sure his Meister was taken care of. Sid smirked, he knew this was not the fight of a weapon to protect the meister; it was the fight of a young man in love. Sid wrapped the rope around Soul and tied it. "Pull him up, I'll burrow!" He called up and watched as they pulled Soul out of the snow pocket before he got himself out.

"We need to get them back immediately." Nygus said as she checked over the two teens. "They'll survive but they need attention right away." She did not need to say any more as Spirit picked Maka back up and he was off running as fast as he could to get to the town. Stein pulled Soul up onto his back and the rest were off, following close behind Spirit.

Nygus walked out of the bedroom where Soul and Maka had been laid on the bed to be treated. The three men looked up as the two children ran over for any news they could get. "They definitely have hypothermia. Soul has a worse case and has some signs of frostbite since he had Maka wrapped in her and his jackets to keep her warm. Maka is doing all right, she has Hypothermia, but it's not major. They'll both recover."

"What can we do?" Elettra asked determined to help.

"All we can do is keep them warm and wait for them to wake up." Nygus said as she looked at the men. "We'll more than likely have to stay for a day or so until they are able to get up."

"I'll stay." Stein nodded.

"Maka's my daughter. I'll stay until we can take them home." Spirit added.

Sid stood up with a nod. "We'll report in and wait for you back at death city." Stein and Spirit nodded as Nygus and Sid left.

"You kids should head back to base." Stein told the two. "Maka and Soul will be fine. There is no reason for you to lay about here."

"But it's our fault." Elettra said as tears came to her eyes. "If we hadn't followed them."

"If I didn't yell at the scythe guy none of this would have happened." Reiner added looking sorrowful before he explained exactly what happened.

"I see." Stein said. "Well there's no reason to be upset about it now. They survived and will recover. Just take this as a lesson for anything in the future." The two nodded. "Now head back to your base." Again the nodded and slowly made their way out of the house. Stein looked at Spirit who kept his eyes on the door to the bedroom. "What's on your mind Spirit?"

Spirit glanced at him before getting up and walking to the doorway to look in at his daughter. "I could have lost her. If we didn't come when we did.... Maka would be dead right now."

"She would have lasted a while longer than Soul." Stein commented and Spirit looked at the young man lying on the bed next to Maka.

"Yeah. He gave her everything he could to keep her warm. He really saved her life." He said softly. "I can't believe the little octopus head really nearly died to protect her."

"Love makes you stupid." Stein said making Spirit look at him quickly. "What? You never saw how those two acted with each other? Or how protective they are with others?"

"You telling me that little freak in there is in love with my Maka?" Spirit asked, protective.

Stein smirked. "Come now, Spirit. Is that anyway to talk about the young man who saved your daughter's life?" Spirit glared at him. "They are good for each other anyway." He shrugged. "So I'll take the little couch thing, you can sleep on the floor." He laughed as Spirit walked back over to his cup of coffee on the table.