21. Blood Oath

JUSTIN POV

A bullet flew past my ear and almost took a big chunk of hair with it near my temple.

I spun around and glared at the three bodies behind me.

"Goddamn it, Keegan!" I checked to make sure no hair was missing, "You did that on purpose."

"It was the kid." Keegan pointed at Jaxon whose hands were shaking around a Taurus Millennium series PT145 pistol.

"I...I..." He stuttered and looked at me with pitiful eyes.

Keegan and Finn stalked off in the forest, trying to shoot other targets, leaving Jaxon and I alone.

Jaxon dropped the gun on the forest floor and just stood there, "I'm sorry." He said quietly.

I sighed and went to pick up the pistol, "Hey, don't say that unless you have to. You didn't do anything wrong."

"I almost killed you."

"It takes more than a little bullet to stop me." I gave him a warm smile that I didn't even know I had in me.

We had been back from Russia for a week and things were just starting to get back to normal....or as normal as it ever had been.

I got the best welcome home present I could have imagined by just spending four days alone with Maddie in my penthouse.

I never thought that I would enjoy time with a woman without fucking her but Maddie always surprised me. From the second she walked in the door, I was drawn to her and I think I took my first real breath since I had left for Moscow.

That was weird.

I hated that I was thinking and saying all this cheesy romantic shit but I couldn't help it with her. As strange as it sounds, she made me feel okay with myself and regular words didn't describe how I felt about our time together. It was celestial and we could have been the only two people on this earth. I wouldn't have even known if a war had erupted right outside of my door. If it didn't involve Maddie, I didn't care.

I still had work to do and I made sure to keep myself focused so that my father didn't jump down my throat more than he already was but really, I didn't give a fuck. I wasn't going to separate myself from Maddie just because we had all the odds working against us. I was stronger than that and I have always liked a challenge so this wasn't going to beat me.

That being said, I was kind of scared shitless.

Maddie's father was a cop, that I knew but I kept my cool while in Maddie's presence. I didn't know what the hell to do with myself because I wanted her but our situation was providing issues. I kept up a cool façade so that Maddie didn't get suspicious because it would only set off alarms in her head if I asked a thousand questions about her father.

From what I got, she hadn't talked with him about me. I heaved a huge sigh of relief when she told me that she didn't plan to tell Freddie anything about us for a while but I also had a sneaking suspicion that Maddie knew more than she was letting on.

It was like she wanted to ask questions and sometimes would but she never asked what was truly on her mind. I could tell. To be honest, I didn't know what I was going to do if Maddie slipped up and accidently said something even related to the word 'Bieber'.

Her father would know for sure the type of trash she was hanging out with. I couldn't take that chance so I kept my cool and started acting more "ordinary" around Maddie. Everyone was because I refused to stop seeing her and even though I was putting my family in danger, I couldn't just drop Maddie. I wouldn't.