26. Music of the Heart

MADDIE POV

"So class, this weekend I need you to create a complex word problem," The professor spoke loudly, while all of us plebeians wrote furiously, trying to catch up.

I didn't even lift my head, so that I wouldn't get distracted from the instructions.

"It needs to be comprised of all the things we worked on in class this week. It might sound easy, but you will find that creating a problem from scratch will be one of the hardest things you've ever had to do. The main thing is that it needs to be solvable. Don't give me a messed up word problem that doesn't have any solution," He continued, and a general low chuckle rang out from the students.

"This should be fun," I said to myself, actually kind of happy that I would have something to do this weekend, since Justin left for Boston this morning on emergency business. I didn't ask what it was for and I didn't want to know. I just got a rushed call from him apologizing for foiling our nonexistent plans for the weekend. Jeremy, Keegan, Finn, and Jaxon were all going with him so, I guessed it had to deal with that side of his life. He said that he should be back before Monday, so I hoped he was being safe until I saw him again.

"I need this problem in my hand on Monday morning, right at the beginning of class." The professor walked through the aisles handing out papers with directions.

"Can we work with a partner?" Someone in the back asked.

"Yes, but only one, and you don't have to."

Before I could even think about what I wanted to do in regards to this math project, Daniel leaned over and nudged my shoulder.

"You want to work together?" He asked in a whisper, with his usual toothy smile.

"Sure, I guess," I replied, "You do know what you're doing, right?"

"I think I can manage."

"Good, because I'm kind of lost. You'll have to explain some things to me." I admitted.

"No problem. We can work all weekend on it and we should be done by tomorrow actually."

"That sounds good to me." I shrugged.

"I think that's all we have for today." The professor called as students began packing their things up, "Make sure I have those projects on Monday." He reminded.

I worked slowly, gathering my things while Daniel threw his backpack over his shoulder, "So, I guess I need your number so I can call you and set up some study sessions."

"Right." I gave him my number and a second later, felt my phone vibrate in my back pocket.

"I sent you a text, so now you have mine. We can meet up tomorrow if you want."

"Sure." I began walking out of the room with Daniel following, "We'll probably have to do it at your place." I said, without giving any further explanation. With all of this stuff going on, I had become very weary of people. I wasn't necessarily paranoid or closed off, but Justin warned me of the dangers so I was taking heed.

It had been about a week since that showdown at Aqua with Justin and Felix Anthis. I was still kind of shaken up about that, but it wasn't for normal reasons. I quickly found out that I wasn't really concerned about my safety, which was slightly frightening. I was more worried for Justin.

Every time he got a call from Keegan or told me he was going off to work, I wasn't truly right until I saw him again. My mind would create all these scenarios of what might be happening or what trouble he could get into. It was scary, and I wasn't really used to all of this yet.