35. Meeting of the Minds

JUSTIN POV

I stood under the water on minute eighteen of my shower and let out a deep breath of relaxation. I was going to need it today.

I kept my mind clear and did my morning meditations that Maddie was forcing me to try. She said I had to work on my temper, which was obvious, but I didn't think I need some Zen master classes to teach me how to live a peaceful life. It didn't really matter what I thought, though, Maddie was having me read an ancient Chinese book that was supposed to improve my life through meditation. I told her I would try it out for a week.

With my track record, I was willing to do anything to get back in her good graces.

It had been two weeks since our "reconciliation", and I was basically doing everything I could think of to show Maddie how much I cared for her. I made a mistake and couldn't ever take that back, but I was going to try my hardest to convey just what she meant to me. I know that sounds incredibly pussy-whipped, but I couldn't help it. What else was I supposed to do?

Maddie and I were seeing a therapist. Granted it was only one of my father's friends, who thought he had the right to dive into our lives, but he got us talking. That was helpful. I didn't really say much, but I did listen and was told that was the main goal in all of this. We quickly found out that the crack we had just repaired went deeper than a forbidden kiss on the beach.

Maddie was watching me like a hawk after the whole "kiss-in-Bermuda" thing, and then the "almost-slept-with-stripper thing". I would probably be making up for those mistakes for a while, but I would do anything she asked-as long as we were together-because she was right: I wasn't a functioning human without her.

I had been fully clean for two weeks. I wasn't addicted to shit, so it didn't take long for the feelings of my permanent high to wear off. I hadn't had one hit, one pill, one blow, or one drink. Like I said, Maddie was watching. She was alwayswatching. I wasn't even allowed to have a fucking cigarette.

Surprisingly, the meditation helped curb the tingles I sometimes got in the back of my throat for something smoky.

I counted down the seconds in my head until minute twenty-seven was upon me, and then shut off the water. I got out of the shower and wrapped a towel around my waist, heading to the fogged up mirror. Once I wiped all the condensation off, I could see my reflection.

I looked healthy; just another indication that Maddie worked wonders on me. There wasn't even a doubt in my mind.

Behind me, I could see Maddie standing in the reflection with a small smile on her face.

"Hi," she said.

"Good morning," I replied.

"You're up early." She stretched.

"It's Saturday. I'm always up early on Saturday." I got my shaving stuff out and filled the sink with warm water.

Maddie still refused to move back in, because she said we weren't ready. I understood that so I didn't push her, but I was keeping a close eye on her dorm. No one was getting in there without me knowing. I even installed a secret camera on her floor, with the perfect positioning to see her door. No one knew about that, not even Maddie. It was just safer that way. She would stay over a couple nights a week, but she tried to split her time between my penthouse and the dorms.

"I heard you have some... giant mob meeting today." She came up behind me and kissed my naked back.

"The yearly meeting of the minds," I sighed and smeared shaving cream on my face.

"Why don't you use a dry razor?" Maddie asked suddenly.

"Shaving cream gets a smoother finish. Plus do you know how much bacteria electronic razors have? Those things are disgusting."