Chapter 4

Chapter 4: A New Beginning

"Minerva, have you received the list of students from the ministry?"

"Of course, Albus."

"Which students to we need to appraise of the wizard world this year?"

"Miss Brocklehurst, Miss Fawcett, Mr. Finch-Fletchley, Miss Granger, Miss Perks, Mr. Potter, Miss Turpin..."

"Mr. Potter? Harry Potter?"

"Yes, Albus. He turns 11 today. The magical roster lists him as unknowing of his heritage. Those damn muggles must not have told him who he is." She glared as Albus as she said this.

"Apparently I was mistaken in what they would do for young Harry. I will visit them myself to ensure this situation is properly remedied. Please arrange for the other students to be visited. I suggest you visit Miss Granger."

"Very well, Albus. I'll take care of it." She left a rather disgruntled Dumbledore behind as she left his office. Once her footsteps had faded, Dumbledore stood and began pacing.

"I was certain they would manage to scare his magic into submission. I planned to have him out of the way. Now what?" Dumbledore stopped pacing to stare into his fireplace. He recognized that he needed help, but who to ask? Very few knew the true identities of himself and Harry. He chose to orchestrate his rise to power through secret, underhanded means, preferring to keep his public face clear of scandal. Dumbledore took a pinch of floo powder and threw it into the fireplace.

"Remus Lupin!" A few seconds later, Lupin's head appeared in the fireplace.

"You called, Albus?"

"Harry has been accepted to Hogwarts." Remus visibly blanched.

"I thought you had taken care of him?"

"So did I. I assumed that as a half-blood his magic would be relatively easy to repress. I should have known that he would inherit much of father's power. What should I do, Remus?"

"Save him."

"Please elaborate."

"Save him from his relatives. Be a father figure to him. Show the boy some love and he will serve you well. Who knows, perhaps he will be strong enough to defeat the Dark Lord."

"That would be deliciously ironic. I knew there was a reason I kept you around, Remus. Thank you. That is a marvelous idea."

"Of course, Albus. Until later." Remus' head disappeared with a small POP! as Albus readied himself to visit the Dursleys.

Albus apparated to the familiar street. Very little had changed in ten years. He strode confidently to number 4. He had made this appointment a week ago, and was certain the Dursleys were not looking forward to seeing him. He had made his displeasure with them clear when he set up the meeting. He climbed the stairs and knocked on the door. He could hear Vernon shouting at Harry to get the door. A moment later, the front door opened to reveal a very pale, very scrawny looking child. Dumbledore recognized the glamour he had placed on the boy ten years ago to fool the Dursleys.

"Hello, Harry. I am Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. I have an appointment with your aunt and uncle."

"Hello, sir. Won't you come in?" Dumbledore stepped over the threshold and continued down the hallway as Harry shut the door behind him. Harry had never seen such an oddly dressed man. He was wearing a long, periwinkle blue cloak; a tall, pointed periwinkle hat, and crescent moon glasses. He was sure his aunt and uncle would never approve of this man. However, when he closed the door and followed the man down the hallway and into the living room, he watched his relatives visibly recoil in fright.