Chapter 6

Chapter 6: The Hogwarts Express

On August 31st, Harry decided he should speak to the Dursleys about getting to King's Cross. He crept down the stairs, afraid they would punish him for making noise. He followed the noise of the TV into the living room and stood there for a moment. When no one turned to look at him, he cleared his throat.

"What do you want, Boy?"

"Er...well, I need to be at King's Cross tomorrow to catch the train to school. I was wondering if you would take me there."

"And why would we do that?"

"Well, err...I don't know, but Professor Dumbledore told me to ask you." Harry noticed that Petunia and Vernon blanched at the name and exchanged a glance.

"I don't suppose you could get there any other way."

"No, sir."

"Well, then, we'll take you just to get rid of you. Make sure you're ready early. What time does that ruddy train leave?"

"At eleven."

"Make sure you're ready by seven. And we'll expect breakfast."

"Of course, Uncle Vernon."

"Now, go up to your room." Harry turned and trudged back to his room. He packed his trunk quickly, then spent the rest of the evening searching every place he could think of in his room to be sure he hadn't missed anything.

Harry slept fitfully that night. He had horrible nightmares: that the Dursleys wouldn't take him to King's Cross, that he lost his ticket and wasn't allowed into the station, that he forgot his trunk, and that he wasn't allowed on the train. After each dream, he sat bolt upright breathing hard. He finally managed to fall into a dreamless sleep after assuring himself that he could write to Dumbledore if there were any problems.

He was up bright and early the next morning. After checking his school list one more time, he ran downstairs to start breakfast. He was just placing the last plate on the table when Petunia, Vernon, and Dudley walked in. They all tucked in, Harry to a larger portion than he would usually allot himself. Finally, Vernon barked at Harry to fetch his things and get in the car. Harry ran upstairs, only to skid to a halt in front of his trunk. He could hardly move it, much less lift it.

After staring at it forlornly for a few moments, he picked up Hedwig's cage and walked downstairs.

"Uncle Vernon, I need help with my trunk."

"And you expect me to help you carry the things for that freak school of yours?"

"If you don't help me, sir, then I can't go. I need my trunk." Harry could see this was the right thing to say. Vernon glowered for a moment then went up to Harry's room yelling at him to follow. Harry did so, fearful of the consequences if he did not, although he did not know how it would help.

Vernon tried to make Harry carry the trunk alone, but finally conceded that it was too large. He settled on helping Harry take it downstairs, as he was nearly desperate to get the boy out of his house. They succeeded in getting the trunk into Vernon's car. Harry was wedged into the backseat between it and Hedwig's cage.

Harry had expected a quiet ride, however it was anything but. Vernon ranted about weirdoes the entire ride. He managed to bring up every odd thing that had ever happened around Harry. He also had a nice rant about magic. He hated any type of magic, both real and the muggle version.

By the time they reached the station, Harry bolted from the car. He grabbed a trolley and ran back to the car. Vernon shoved his trunk onto the trolley then got back into the car and drove off without so much as a good-bye. Slightly disheartened, Harry balanced Hedwig's cage on his trunk and wheeled the trolley into the station.