Chapter 25

Chapter 25: Christmas

The next day was Christmas Eve. Harry woke early, a plan already formed, as though his dreams had worked it all out. He found his mother having breakfast in the sitting room and joined her, knowing he would need to eat before mentioning anything to her.

"Did you sleep well, Harry?"

"Yes, mum. And you?"

"Of course, dear. What do you and Draco have planned for today?" Harry had hoped to make it through breakfast before asking, but he couldn't put it off now.

"Well, actually, mum, I was hoping you would take me to Hogsmeade. I need to buy a very last-minute gift."

"I thought you finished all your shopping, Harry."

"It's for a new acquaintance." Bella smiled.

"Really? And who might that be?" Harry blushed, sure he was about to get teased.

"Luna Lovegood." Bella's smile grew wider.

"That's lovely, dear. She's a nice girl. She'll be starting Hogwarts next year. It will be interesting to see which house she's sorted into. Her mother was in Ravenclaw, but her father was in Slytherin with me."

"I don't recall seeing her mother."

"She died several years back. It was some sort of explosion. Many say she was killed. Oh, no, not by Xenophilius!" she exclaimed at Harry's horrified expression. "He was with Luna that day. They came home to a house destroyed. Poor Xeno never fully recovered from that. He's gone a little odd since, and Luna has as well, although I think it's to please her father more than anything. Oh, here I am rambling on." Harry, who had been hanging on every word, sat back upright.

"That's ok, mum. So, can you take me?"

"I would, dear, but wouldn't it look odd if I went with you?"

"We could always say you're helping me find Draco's gift." Seeing that Harry was determined, Bella agreed. Harry hugged her and ran upstairs to grab his things. When he came back down, Bella was waiting in the foyer, fully ready.

"Hurry on, Harry, most stores are only open until noon today."

"It's only ten, mum."

"True, but do you have any idea what to get her?"

"I was thinking something from Honeydukes. All girls like sweets, right?" Bella laughed.

"I suppose that will be an acceptable gift as you don't know her that well."

"What would you suggest, mum?"

"We'll see once we get there, Harry. Now, are you ready?"

"Sure, mum. Let's go." They walked out past the front gate, then Bella Apparated them to Hogsmeade. Once there, Bella led him through the clothing shop, the stationer's store, and finally, into a second-hand shop.

Harry eagerly searched the shop, remembering what he had found at the last one he was in. Finally, in a locked case, he found something better than sweets. It was a silver necklace with two charms: a lightning bolt and a crescent moon.

Harry pointed it out to his mother, who nodded in agreement. Harry purchased it and had it nicely wrapped. When they were done, Bella Apparated them back to Malfoy Manor. Harry thanked her then raced inside to send the gift.

Harry took a seat at the desk in his room and wrote a quick note to Luna.

Dear Luna

I hope you don't mind me sending you a gift. I saw this today at Hogsmeade and it made me think of you. I hope you'll wear it as a remembrance to the start of a wonderful friendship. I don't know when I'll see you again, but I'm looking forward to it. Take care, Merry Christmas, and my best wishes to yourself and your father.