Chapter 24

Chapter 24: Parties

As the holidays progressed, Harry got better and better at Occlumency. He was able to block anyone's attempt to penetrate his mind. Bella had moved on to teaching him how to show fake images when he wanted to.

Bella had also undertaken teaching Harry how to dance. He was by no means as skilled at dancing as he was at Occlumency, but by the first Christmas party they attended he was passable. Bella knew that the girls he would be dancing with would be able to help him. She continued to school him in dancing as they continued through the party circuit. First the Crabbes, then the Goyles, the Parkinsons, the Zabini-Greengrass joint party, the Notts, and finally, the Bullstrodes.

The more parties they went to, the better Harry got. Daphne Greengrass, especially, was able to help Harry. Her ability to steer him helped Harry finally fully grasp the steps. Neither was really sure when it happened, but by her party, Harry was no longer being steered, he was steering. He was so grateful, that he sent Daphne a thank-you note with some Honeydukes chocolate.

By the day of the Malfoy party, Harry's dance skills were almost as good as Draco's. Harry was proud of this fact and his hard work. He was looking forward to this party. Bella had allowed Harry a good, long look at the guest list. He recognized many of the names as his fellow Slytherins, but there were also many that he did not recognize. He looked forward to meeting everyone, even if it would be only as Harry Potter. They couldn't risk word getting to Dumbledore of Harry's new knowledge.

At 4:45, Harry and Draco ran upstairs to change into their best robes. Harry would be joining the receiving line with the rest of the family. At 5:25, Lucius and Narcissa lowered the wards at the front gate, allowing their guests to arrive. They all lined up at the door at precisely 5:29, and at 5:30, a flurry of guests Apparating took Harry by surprise. The families all gracefully ascended the stairs and greeted the Malfoys, Harry, and Bella. Harry could easily tell who knew the truth about him; they all smiled at seeing him standing next to Bella rather than next to Draco as would be expected.

As the arrivals dwindled, Harry was able to get a better look at the people who were arriving. They were all dressed in their best robes, many wearing priceless jewelry. The men all wore family rings and led their wives by the arm. Finally, it seemed, the receiving was done. The Malfoys started to turn from their spot in line. However, Bella stopped them.

"One more guest, sister dearest. Invited at my request. I hope you don't mind."

"Not at all, sister."

"Thank you." She turned to Draco. "And thank you, Draco, for your kindness and for looking out for my Harry." Draco looked at his aunt, confused. However, his attention was immediately diverted by a loud 'crack'. Now standing on the top step were Hermione and Dobby.

"Mia!"

"Hi Draco. Hi Harry." She turned to Bella. "Mrs. Riddle, thank you for inviting me. Mr. and Mrs. Malfoy, thank you also for allowing me to come. It's great to finally meet you." Narcissa recovered from her shock first.

"Of course, dear. Come in! It is wonderful to meet you as well. Draco has told us so much about you. You look ravishing. Dobby please escort Miss Granger to the ballroom."

"Yes, mistress. Miss Granger will please follow Dobby?"

"I'll see you two later." Harry and Draco both nodded. Once she was out of sight, Harry turned to Bella.

"Thanks, mum."

"Of course, dear. She's your friend, muggleborn or not. By the way, she knows the truth. She has been practicing the basics of Occlumency on her own, and will join you in your lessons with Severus. She has been doing quite well, I can tell. I was unable to penetrate her mind, although I did not press too hard." Harry hugged her.