t h r e e

THE TELL TALE HEART

by: EDGAR ALLAN POE

1843

paragraph 3 of 15

Now this is the point. You fancy me mad. Madmen know nothing. But you should have seen me. You should have seen how wisely I proceeded -with what caution -with what foresight -with what dissimulation I went to work! I was never kinder to the old man than during the whole week before I killed him. And every night, about midnight, I turned the latch of his door and opened it -oh so gently! And then, when I had made an opening sufficient for my head, I put in a dark lantern, all closed, closed, that no light shone out, and then I thrust in my head. Oh, you would have laughed to see how cunningly I thrust it in! I moved it slowly -very, very slowly, so that I might not disturb the old man's sleep. It took me an hour to place my whole head within the opening so far that I could see him as he lay upon his bed. Ha! would a madman have been so wise as this, And then, when my head was well in the room, I undid the lantern cautiously-oh, so cautiously -cautiously (for the hinges creaked) -I undid it just so much that a single thin ray fell upon the vulture eye. And this I did for seven long nights -every night just at midnight -but I found the eye always closed; and so it was impossible to do the work; for it was not the old man who vexed me, but his Evil Eye. And every morning, when the day broke, I went boldly into the chamber, and spoke courageously to him, calling him by name in a hearty tone, and inquiring how he has passed the night. So you see he would have been a very profound old man, indeed, to suspect that every night, just at twelve, I looked in upon him while he slept.

• • • • •

"She is not human, she is the biggest threat to our race. No disrespect to you my Alpha, but I refuse to remain my loyalty to you if you accept this thing as your mate." Mialyzia was lying, it was not her fear of myself driving her away, it was the jealously she kept deep inside herself.

"Is it to my understanding that you were chosen to become the Luna? Obviously this race has overthrown monarchy and decided to take up democracy." Veronica snapped at Mialyzia. "Not even 50 years ago, the entire idea would be obscured. Hell! The very thought of an inbred chosen by other inbreeds is mad!" At any moment Mialyzia would be shooting fire at her once friend.

"Please!" Veronica waved her hand in dismissal. "Are you just jealous I was chosen for the position instead of yourself!"

Jealously.

"Don't even try and act like we don't all know of your little infatuation with the Alpha."

Lust.

"Walking around with your head high, but we all know about your little secret with-

"Enough!" The Alpha stepped forward, towering over the two arguing females.

Though he intervened he didn't speak, he stood silent. At a loss of words perhaps?

"Alpha-

"I asked for silence!" His voice was loud and intimidating. The smile occupying his face was menacing and absolutely beautiful.

I can't deny the pull I felt towards the beast.

He was tall. Very tall. Beautiful. Even more breath taking up close than from the distance I'd been watching from. His eyes were the oddest shade of green. A color in all my years I'd yet to see. Starring into them I understood how Alice felt when she fell down the rabbit hole. Then his hair! Oh his hair was darker than dark.

The dimples in his cheeks that formed when he smiled seemed to never end, they added to his boyish features, giving the impression of a trusting man. Looks never being so deceiving until now. His pride surrounded him, he always kept his head high, towering over everybody and everything. Power radiated off of him. Like a thick atmosphere danger was always following him.

"She will come to me."

"No disrepect my Alpha." Veronica paused, thinking a second longer, debating if she should say what was on her mind. There was no doubt that she feared him, and he fed on it. "H- how are you so sure." She paused, her eyebrows knitting together in concentration. 

"Veronica can you not feel it?" His eyes were wide, comeplete with maddness. "She's already here." He lifted his head and held it up, gesturing toward the area around him. "I can feel her in my bones." He chuckled, his eyes averting to the floor he stood upon. "Do not fret." He waved his hand dismissively, turning to walk back around behind his desk. Leaning forward his put his weight onto his beautifully crafted desk, through his beautifully crafted arms. "When have I ever let you down?"

"All repect, but she is your-"

"I know what she she is Mialyzia! Has this pack lost its faith in me? Must I remind my strengths to you?" His green eyes turned to the expensive golden of his beast. "This a test from the Goddess herself, a test of my weakness! Oh I assure you, a little legend will not bring my down fall. I am THE ALPHA!" He slammed his massive hands onto his desk in frustration, he was getting wired up again. Not that this did not happen often, he was known for his temper.

"Speak to me in such a way again and I will kill every person in your family as you watch. Not you though, you will certainly live to tell, death being too kind of me. I am your ALPHA! Respect and faith is what I have earned!"

"Yes Alpha." The two females bowed their heads, hair falling forward to expose the backs of their necks. 

His chest vibrated, containing the roar inside him. 

"You will help me find my mate. She could not come to me soon enough. Any sight of her, or any of her scent picked up is reported straight to me! Am I clear?"

"Yes Alpha." The two females kept their heads low and slowly backed out of the Alpha's study.

He stood silently, on the sound of his slow and labored breathing.

"I will you find you." He looked around the room, looking up at the ceiling, as if I was hiding in such a predictable place. "I swear it on my life."