Chapter 9

Laf's POV:

      Herc left. I went back to my book, and I could not focus. I raked my curls back into a ponytail, and went down to the parking garage. My backpack was in the trunk, I hauled it out, dreading the homework it contained. As I locked up, I noticed something: a large, grey hoodie lying in the backseat. I picked it up, then examined it. Herc's. He must have left it... I would take it to him tomorrow.

      I carried the backpack and the hoodie upstairs. The light on the answering machine was blinking, I hit the button as I passed.

     You have two unheard messages. First message sent today at 11:34 am.

     The machine beeped once, then:

     "Salut, Laf, c'est moi. J'étais--"

     I reached over and hit delete before the message could continue. My sister had eloped just under two years ago, and moved back to France. For the first year, she hadn't talked to us at all. My parents were frantic for contact with her. Eventually, they gave up. Since then, she's been trying to get in touch with us again. She calls twice a week. I never answer.

     Next message sent today at 5:41 pm.

     "Hi, bud, just wanted to let you know your mother and I will be home late tonight. You may make dinner. I hope your day was well. See you soon!"

     I deleted that one too.

     There was pasta in the refrigerator, I ate it cold while I did my homework. Afterwards, I played single-player Halo and blasted Stromae out of the speakers. I had played him for Herc once. He had taken off the headphones, confused. "The beat's good, bro, but I guess I can't get around the whole French part. I've got no idea what the dude's saying!"

     "Welcome to my world, Hercules," I muttered, twisting the XBox controller in my hands.

     Later, I lay awake in bed. Herc had seen right away that something was wrong. Why couldn't I tell him. Why couldn't I just say it? "Between my sister, and my parents, I have no idea what's going on at home. And I thought you would have given up on Angelica by now...how have you not given up? So I don't know very many things right now. But one thing I do know is that I haven't been able to get you out of my head, lately." It came so easily in my mind. Why couldn't I spit it out? I was being as wimpy as John.

     I rolled over, staring into the darkness. Usually, not much phased me. But today, something had snapped. He had chosen Angelica over me, right away. And it was just more confirmation that that was what he would always do.

     I sat up, then went to the kitchen for water. On my way back, I noticed Herc's sweatshirt, folded over the back of the armchair. I gazed at it for a good thirty seconds-- then I strode over to the armchair and scooped it up.

     Sitting back on my bed, I raised the sweatshirt to my face. It was huge and soft. I inhaled, then immediately felt like a stalker. Then I realized in that moment I didn't care. I brought the fabric up to my nose again--it smelled like dust and grass and dried apples and warmth. Just like Herc. The knot in my chest eased a little. I pulled the covers back over myself, lying down again. I wrapped the hoodie around me, breathing in its comforting heat. I'd give it back tomorrow, he'd never know. That was my last thought before I was asleep.

A/N: Short chapter, sorry. I've been busy, and I'm only going to get busier as school starts. I've got lots of ideas...just a few more filler chapters before we get to the big stuff. Let's just say I apologize in advance...