Chapter 10

It was only a few more days before Gaius allowed Daigo to walk, as long as there was always someone nearby. If he went any further than the lower town, someone had to go with him, which he didn't mind. He didn't really want to be alone anyway.

He planned to see Arthur that day, but first he had to find Lancelot and Gwaine and go back to the clearing. He didn't get the chance, as Merlin informed him Arthur needed to speak to him early that morning, no excuses.

He felt himself tremble slightly as he walked slowly through the halls. Servants saw him and whispered to each other. Guards stared after him. He felt small and sped up a bit to escape the stares and voices. He hoped he'd see Gwaine or Lancelot but of course, they were on patrol and would be for the next hour. He finally reached the throne room. The guards saw him and pulled the doors open. Arthur was waiting inside.

---------------

The talk with Arthur lasted until the knights got back from patrol. Lancelot found Daigo on the way to his chambers.

"Daigo, you're walking," he said with a grin.
"Yeah, I am, and it barely hurts," Daigo responded.

He jumped as an arm was slung around his shoulders and turned to see Gwaine.

"Did you speak with princess, I mean, Arthur," Gwaine asked, correcting himself when he noticed the look Lancelot gave him.
"Um, yeah, I actually just left the throne room."
"And?"
"Well..." Daigo started, adorning a serious expression.
"What happened?" Lancelot asked, looking concerned. Daigo was almost certain he could see the wings pushing back against the rope, even through the shirt.
"Did he do anything to you?" Gwaine asked, frowning and tensing.
"I'll explain once we get to the clearing. I was serious about going back," Daigo said, his expression never changing.

Before Gwaine or Lancelot could object, Daigo continued to his chambers.

---------------

When they arrived, Daigo finally told them what had happened, after being bombarded with questions from the knights.

"Arthur said I can stay here as long as I'd like and, if I want to, I can even start training to be a knight."

Gwaine and Lancelot stared at Daigo in shock before they both ran over and almost crushed him with a hug.

"You're going to do it right? Become a knight?" Gwaine asked hopefully.
"I don't kn-"
"You have to! If you don't, Arthur might make you a servant," Gwaine cut him off.

Daigo looked at Lancelot, hoping for a bit more calm from the other knight.

"He won't make you a servant, Gwaine is just being... Gwaine," Lancelot said, unable to find any word to describe his friend.
"Rude. But are you going to be a knight?" Gwaine asked again.
"Maybe? I don't know?"
"Please!" Gwaine begged.
"I'll think about it," Daigo said with a small smile. "For now, I want a fair water fight and since I'm injured, Lancelot, you get to help me."

---------------

Dusk was beautiful as the three walked through the forest back to Camelot. Daigo could barely keep his eyes open as he stepped over another tree root. He felt himself sway and saw Lancelot nudge Gwaine with his elbow. Gwaine looked back at him, smiled and he felt himself be lifted onto Gwaine's back. Too tired to protest, he held on and let himself fall asleep while the knights kept walking.