Part 5-Encounter

After the assembly was over, the rats rushed off to prepare for battle. After conferring with the generals, Vernon walked back to where you were sitting.

    "We've been waiting for this day for a while," Vernon told you. "I feel confident in our preparations."

    The rats were surprisingly organized, but before you could comment on that fact to Vernon, he turned to face you.

    "Y/N," he said. "You're going to have to stay here."

    "What?!" you said, annoyed. "After everything that's happened, you don't want me to be there?!"

    "I don't want you to get hurt," Vernon said. "You don't have any military training..."

    You sighed. You wanted to see the end to this whole Wack fiasco, especially after hearing what they had done to Vernon's adoptive mother, but he was right. You wouldn't be able to protect yourself in battle, especially if these Wacks were as vicious as Vernon said they were.

    "Is it okay if I just go to watch?" you pleaded with him. "I promise I won't interfere!"

    Vernon sighed. "Ooookay," he finally said. "Alfonzo!"

    The rat-cook scampered to Vernon's side. "Please take Y/N to the spy's post, and make sure that she isn't seen." The rat nodded solemnly, and walked to your side.

    "Y/N," Vernon looked at you. He opened his mouth and looked like he was going to say something, but the rat generals behind him began squeaking at him. He closed his mouth, then smiled at you. "Please stay safe. And I will see you soon," he said, before turning to the generals behind him.

    'I wonder what he was going to say?' you thought to yourself.

    You heard squeaking behind you, and remembered Alfonzo. "Oh, right, I'm supposed to go with you! Well, let's go!"

    The two of you ran off into a hidden passageway, and ran up the thin alleyways until you reached a sort of mini balcony that protruded from the top of a high sewer wall. You looked out into a part of the sewer system that was much taller and wider than any part you had seen so far. 'This must be where Vernon is planning to intercept the Wack army,' you thought to yourself.

    Suddenly, you heard the sound of thousands of feet walking towards the battlefield. You looked to your right, and spotted Vernon leading an army of rats into the field. 'Wow~' you mused to yourself as Vernon marched by. 'He looks so strong...'

    Vernon had changed out of his cloak, and was now clad in full body armor, and a large sword hung at this side. He confidently led his army forwards, then stopped.

    'Huh?' you wondered. 'What is he waiting for?'

    Once again, you heard the sound of thousands of feet walking towards the battlefield. This time, however, the sound was coming from your left. You put your hand to your mouth in shock when you saw the approaching army.

    The army itself was made up of the meanest group of rats you had ever seen. They had long, scraggly whiskers and long, sharp claws. They had messy fur, and many had scars....some were even missing eyes or a limb. However, the most shocking thing of all, was their leader.

    Vernon had told you that Mr. Ratburn, the leader of the Wacks, was tall and strong, but you never would have expected that the leader would be a rat who was only a few inches shorter than Vernon!

    As the Wack army approached the Macs, Vernon swung his arm a few times, before pointing at the approaching army. "CHAAAARGE!" he shouted, and the Macs rushed past him and into battle.