Prologue

The night was peaceful under the full moon, all was still except for the silent rustling of prey. Soft, rythmitic breaths were taken in... And out... ... ... . . . . . . . . .

A high pitched yowl tore through the clearing. Felines from several places started to crepe out, sleepily. One tom, a brown with white and black stripes, races through the clearing with a wild look in his eyes. Dashes into a rabbit-hole only to emerge with two other cats carrying fresh scented herbs. They enter a bramble thicket were the yowling is heard the loudest. The older cat with the herbs flicks her tail for the tom to wait outside. He try's to protest but she gives him a glare. He gave a low frustrated growl and scars the earthy floor. Anxiety gnawed at every cats' mind. Hoping that the queen would be alright. . .

Dawn approaches. And the yowling has finally came to an end. Half the cats had gone back to bed. Some stay awake, exited to see what new life is brought through the bramble thicket. Or at least know that the queen was alright and so were her kits. The she-cat with a younger tom come out with relief in their sparkling eyes. She mews something to the tom and gracefully pads away with the younger one trailing after her chirping excitedly. The brown with white and black tom nods a thanks and rushes in to see his mate.

4 little bundles. 4 kits. 4 new additions to the clan. 4 more mouths to feed. 4 more scraps of happiness to bring joy and life again back to the clan. 4, was definitely a blessing from Star clan. A good blessing. The couple purred watching their as kits squeal and suckle their mother's milk. This, was a litter of 4.

"What shall we name them?"

Asked the black with green she-cat.

"Let's see..."

Rumbles the tom as he rests his tail lightly on the very first kit to come out. A tom. He was black and inherited the father's stripes down his back that were green.

"Greenkit."

He purred. His mate purred along with him.

"What a handsome name. And perfect for him!"

The mother nuzzles the first kit.

"Alright... And one girl... That was the deal... Let's see now..."

The father looks at the first she-cat to be born. She was brown, like her father, and had black muzzle, paws, tailtip, and eartips. His eyes lit up happily, sparkling with pride.

"Daisykit."

"Beautiful..."

Purred his mate.

"Your turn"

He licked the black with green she-cat's cheek lovingly. And she purred back and rested her tail gently on a light brown with darker brown stripes and white markings she-cat. Thinking for a split second before smiling.

"This, little beautiful she-cat, will be Desertkit."

She purred taking away her tail before she does any harm.

"Desertkit? Like in the desert that rouge told us about. The one that has endless sand and it's so hot that even Twolegs could die from?"

The tom pressed. But the black with green she-cat just nodded, happy with her choice.

"Alrighty... Hey... How about that last one? The third?"

The brown with white and black stripes tom asked. His mate swiveled her head towards the black kit. It was the second tom. He was the third one who came out. He had the longest tail in his litter. The she-cat thought, and thought. Finally the tom sighed and got up.

"You ought to get some rest."

He mewed as she looked up.

"Kitting must of been hard for you."

He said looking towards the sun. The black with green she-cat just noded, looking down with her icy blue eyes.

"Well... I'm on a border patrol for Water clan. Lately, they've been quiet. Rabbitstar-my brother-requested to check it out."

The tom looked back towards his mate with his fire like eyes. His gaze softens.

"Will you be alright, Grassyshadows?"

Grassyshadows nods solemnly.

"I mean like, I know that Shadedleaves checked you, but still, are you alright? Are sure of it? Do you need anything? I-I could get you some fresh kill if your hungry, or some soaked moss if your thirsty. Or I cou--"

"Oaktuft."

Oaktuft stopped and ducked his head in embarrassment as Grassyshadows sighed.

"I'll be alright. I just need time to think for the third one's name. Alright?"

Oaktuft nods slowly. Unsure of what to do next.

"Go. You need fresh air. Your patrol must be getting ready to leave soon anyways."

Oaktuft nods and scurries off as Grassshadows calls out after him.

"May Star clan be with you!"

Grassyshadows returns her gaze towards the third kit and ponders.

What name should I give him? She wondered. Shadowkit? She looked towards the black, long tailed, tom and sees the sunlight reflect off his pelt making it look a bit sandy, and shakes her head No... That doesn't sound right especially since the sun makes his dark fur lighter... Ravenkit? She looks over the tom again and shakes her head once more. He doesn't have that purple tint in his fur like Shadowpaw or Ravenclaw... Then what shall I name this dark kit?!? She freezes in between her thought her eyes widening a bit and a small smiling forming on her muzzle. She looks down and puts the pieces together. Black, but is lit up under the sun's rays... Dark, but has no tint of purple... He does have dark fur after all... Her smile widens. I know just what to name you, my little kit... You shall be known as...

"Darkkit..."

Grassyshadows muzzle her third kit as she says his name out loud. Happy with her choice she settles down for a nap.

After all, she had a long, joyful life set ahead for her, didn't she?