Chapter 2

"Well, well, well. Look what we have here, three little wandering kits." 

The tall black and brown tom had said, a purr rumbling in the back of his throat. It sounded scary, I didn't want to be here. I wanted to run. 

"Kits?" the she-cat to his left, black and cream asked "Shouldn't you be back with your mommies? It's dangerous out here, especially for you weaklings." her bright orange eyes glinted. 

"Oh, wait," the other she-cat, white and light blue, "they must think they're warriors! As if!" she said, practically ready to burst out laughing. 

"Hey, hey, relax." the tom leaned in close to Desertkit, she was shaking a bit. Or was she? "we don't want to hurt you, well maybe. You're too pretty to be hurt tho. What do you think, Shadowpaw, Mistpaw?" 

"She's definitely pretty," the white one said. 

"Shadowpaw?" the tom said, referring to the black and cream one who's orange eyes seemed to see through anyone. 

"Cream with white paws and light brows stripes along her back, tail, and front legs. She has these two white dots around each of her blue eyes. Yes, she is pretty, and do you see how she glares at you, Squirrelpaw? She has strength." Or maybe Desertkit was bristling. 

Wow, I am shocked, She saw that much? I can barely see the stripes! And the dots? They're there but barely visible. As for the glare? Why didn't I notice that until now?? Agh!

"Good eye." Squirrelpaw said, Shadowpaw simply nodded in return. Mistpaw looked a bit ruffled. I wonder why. 

"So let's see, we'll take dear Desertkit," How does he know her name!? "And leave her be, as for those two, we can rough 'em up a bit."

Mistpaw stepped forward, making me jump back as her paw came close to stepping on my head. She pushed Desertkit, whom had yelped in surprise, over and behind her big white and light blue build. 

"Greenkit! Darkkit!" Desertkit had cried out, afraid for the two of us. 

I backed away a bit, my ears flattening against my small head. I wanted to curl up and hide, but then I see Greenkit. He steps in front of my and puffs out his chest. It makes him seem taller. What is he doing? Was he trying to protect us? He'll get hurt!

What? No! Greenkit, run!

Greenkit had stood tall, he didn't look afraid. I wanted to scream at him to run and hide. Squirrelpaw had toppled Greenkit over in one swipe! Mistpaw stood next to him, ready to deal another blow while Shadowpaw looked on, sitting and, wait, she was holding Desertkit hostage! I could see Desertkit trapped under Shadowpaw's claws, desperately trying to get to us. 

No! I have to do something! But what? I'm just a kit!

I shut my eyes in desperation to not feel so small and helpless. I could hear Greenkit yelp in surprise, they must've done something to him again. Why am I so weak? I have to help them! Then, out of the sudden, it sounded like someone spoke in my ear. 

Darkkit do not fear, you can do something. You can help your littermates, but first you must listen to me.

I had let out a squeak of surprise and fear. Mistpaw had looked up and said something but I didn't hear her. I simply buried my face into my paws, whispering. 

"Wh-who are you..? Where are you?" 

In your head, little one. I can hear your thoughts, don't worry, you don't need to speak aloud. 

"O-okay.." I reply 

Who are you? How are you in my head? 

Introductions later, I'm here to help you. Greenkit is in trouble and so is Desertkit, you, Darkkit, have to help them.