Chapter 1

"Come on, Darkkit, open your eyes! Please."

I hear a soft voice speaking to me. I try to  remember who it belongs to. 

D-dustkit?.. No.. D-de-dess..desert? Oh yeah! Desertkit!.. What's a desert? Maybe I can find out if I open my eyes...

"Pffft, like he'll ever open his eyes! It's like the run---" the older, more rough sounding voice was cut by a booming, powerful sounding voice. "Daisykit! That's enough! How about you and Greenkit go and play outside while Desertkit and I wait for Darkkit to open his eyes!"

I can feel the shocked waves coming from Daisykit. Then I hear some rustling indicating that two of my litter mates left.

"It's okay, Darkkit," the loud booming voice comes back but this time more gentle and soft.

Almost like silk flowing through my ears. It makes me want to curl up and fall asleep.

"You can take your time. Nobody is going to rush you at all."

Thanks, mother. I snuggle more into her warmth.

"But your missing out on a lot of stuff, really." Desertkit's voice comes back. 

What sort of stuff am I missing out? I thought.

"It's really beautiful outside! And Leaf-fall is near. The leaves are changing colors! It's so beautiful!"

Colors? Is that what you describe what you see? Well I see nothing but darkness. Do I look as dark as this? Is this why mother named me after this end less void of shadows?

I squirm a bit. "There is red, orange, yellow--and green! Oh, the colors are so beautiful, Darkkit. Won't you open your eyes just a bit?"

Desertkit's words actually take effect on my thoughts. I start arguing with myself.

That does sound beautiful and interesting. But the dark is what I'm used to! It's quite comforting after you stay in it for a while. Is that wrong of me to think?

"Come on, just a little peak? It wouldn't hurt, would it?" Desertkit's mew broke my thoughts once again.

I guess one little peak won't hurt... My eye-lids twitch a bit.

No! Not yet! It's too early!! I can't open my eyes yet! No, no, no, no, no...!

"Come on, I just wanna see your eyes! They must be beautiful. Maybe they are like mine, light blue! Everybody else has amber, so why not you have blue as well!"

Desertkit sounds so happy to meet me. And I can't stop the process  of me opening my eyes. Once it started, it's gonna go till the end, haha.

Light blinds my vision as my eyes finally flutter open. I blink a couple times before getting adjusted to the light around me.

I see Desertkit looking at me square in the face. And she was right! Her eyes were a beautiful light blue. And they were sparkling with... Releif? No...

The emotion she's giving off is happiness... Joy... So that means that her eyes are sparkling with... Happiness? No, no, her eyes are sparkling with joy! That's right!

Desertkit gasps a soft gasp. 

What? What is it? Tell me!

"Your eyes... Their sparkling! And," a small gasp "Oh, their jut as beautiful as mom's!"

What? Does that mean that I have Grassyshadow's eyes? I look around to find a black shape looming above me with a green tail and paws.

I try to find the figure's face. It turns it's head towards me. And to my realization it's a female and green fur covering half her face. So I only see one of her eyes.

Yet it tells me everything.

Her eyes were like ice. But beautiful and soft. It's like she's powerful but beautiful, smart, and kind at the same time.

Which means I have the same eyes as my mother and Desertkit! Horay!

"Come on, Darkkit! Let's go out and meet Greenkit, and Daisykit, and, oh, I almost forgot, daddy as well!" Desertkit's excited mew brought me back to reality.

"O-okay." I say and stand up on my shaking paws. "Let's go!"

Desertkit takes the lead and leads me out of the nursery. I look back to Grassyshadows and she nods her approval and I dash to catch up to Desertkit.

My life is great so far, so how could it go wrong? I thought. Besides the fact that Daisykit thinks she's superior, I think that this is a great life to live in!

"Wait for me, Desertkit!" I mewed in protest as I stumble towards my litter mates. 

I see Greenkit, Daisykit, and Desertkit and beam at them that I can finally do what they do as well.

"Come on, let's explore!" Greenkit mews excitedly. Daisykit already starts padding off while Desertkit compliments Greenkit about his idea.

Greenkit and Desertkit beckon me to follow them as their small conversation is finished. I nod and scurry after them.

I can't wait to see the rest of camp! I thought as I padded with two of my litter mates. Lets hope that everyone will be as welcoming as Greenkit, Desertkit, and Mamma!

I was really excited to met everyone especially Rabbitstar! I heard mommy and daddy speaking about him when my eyes were still closed. He sounds like a nice cat to meet.

A shadow looms over me. I look up and so do my litter mates. It was a tall, muscular, brown with black tom.

He had this grin that spelled trouble. My litter mates and I tried to walk away but were stopped by two she-cats.

One was white with very light blue, and the other was black with cream. They also had crooked grins.

We were trapped. The three of them had us surrounded. We were in trouble for sure . . .

"Well, well, well, what do we have here?"