Chapter 127

Thanks to Andrew for making me write this gutwrenching scene and torturing me with Ravil's inner monologue after the events of this scene. I cried at lunch. But I enjoyed writing this and I'm glad you pushed me to do it. 

Breezeblocks by Alt-J is a perfect song for this scene

A few nights before the wedding, Ravil had another dreaded nightmare. 

He sat in the FBI's headquarters, green eyes staring blankly at the live surveillance footage, watching his target walk down the halls. 

Just as the target passed the surveillance room, Ravil leapt out behind him, clicking his gun and pointing it at his target's head. 

His target, a man with dark brown hair pulled into a ponytail and clear, deep blue eyes, turned slowly around to face him, holding his hands up. He was holding a stash of papers...Ravil didn't bother wondering why. He just watched as his target's sapphire eyes widened. 

The target crashed to his knees. "R-Ravil?" he asked, fear seizing his gaze. 

Ravil blinked tears out of his right eye. "Prosti." 

Then he pulled the trigger. Gunfire tore through the white hallway. A bullet flew into the target's throat, splattering crimson blood onto the tile floor as the target sputtered and gasped. Was he trying to scream? Another spasm sent blood spraying into Ravil's pale face, and then something else occurred. 

A revelation. 

Ravil realized, his green eyes flying wide and going alight with panic. He cursed frantically in Russian, kneeling beside Artem, trying to stop the bleeding, but to no avail. 

Artem lifted a hand and placed it on Ravil's shoulder, managing to weakly prop himself up on an elbow, lifting his head to try and kiss Ravil on the cheek for the last time. His head hit the ground again seconds later, and Ravil watched in absolute horror as Artem started to relax. 

"Artem, no, stay awake!" Ravil screeched. "I'm sorry!" 

Artem managed to gargle out a few words. "Ya...lyublyu tebya," 

Russian. Ravil translated it almost instantly. 

I love you. 

Ravil could only watch as the life began to fade from Artem's blue eyes, as that cursed crimson blood kept trickling from his mouth. 

"This is my fault," Ravil murmured, tears blurring his sight. 

Desperation taking hold of him, Ravil tried to find a pulse. Searching with one hand and trying, still, to stop the blood with the other, he felt panic blossom in his chest as he realized he couldn't feel a pulse. Tears started to cascade down his bloodstained face, dripping pale red on the white tiles. 

He started to weep. "Artem, no, please," Still no pulse. "Artem, wake up! Artem!' 

He felt his hands start to tremble, and he still couldn't detect a pulse. "No, I can't find it, I..." his voice trailed off. 

"Prosti," he apologized, knowing in the back of his mind that Artem couldn't hear him. "Prosti, prosti, prosti," 

He wept uncontrollably, unable to live with what he'd just done. "Prosti!" he screamed, wondering if there was still ammo in his gun...

"Ravil, wake up," Artem said. 

Ravil's eyes flew open, and he found himself sprawled out on the couch, Artem sitting next to him. Had it been a dream? 

"Ravil, my love, it's alright, I'm here." Artem assured him. "We're getting married soon, remember?" 

Relief washed over Ravil as he realized that it had been a dream. He pressed his face into Artem's chest, hugging him tightly. "I love you, I love you so much," 

"And I love you too." Artem said, pulling Ravil closer. "It's all okay, my love. It's all okay now."