The Shinigami, Irriated

Grell's P.O.V

He stood sternly upon one of the many rooftops of London, bright green eyes hidden behind thick rims. Slowly but surely he ran his fingers along the spine of his scythe, watching once more as he drew blood from his fingertips. The sun had gone down ages ago and as it did, the people came out. So had his target. A man in his mid fifties with dark brown, greying hair. He had entered into one of the local bars hours ago and Grell had been waiting patiently for him to exit the shop, eager to put his scythe to use.

At exactly 11:38pm today, the man was scheduled to die. The small notebook Grell carried said it would be a hit and run which was the most likely considering the lively streets. Grell tapped his feet against the face of the roof in a rhythmic tune. He could help feel an odd sense of nostalgia as he remembered his past days as a Shinigami. He simply dispelled the thought by reminding himself that he was here for a different reason. He brushed his fingers against the blue black bruise on his neck and winced.

He had been reinstated as a Reaper by the Shinigami Council but it without a few repercussions. He grimaced as he retracted his fingers away from the bruise. A few burns were nothing he couldn't handle. Grell shut his eyes for a moment, letting the passing wind whisper into his ear for several moments. When he was a young reaper he would  sometimes  pause and listen to the stories the wind had to carry for there were many.

A girl is screaming for her lover at the east end of the slums, screaming, screaming, the wind shrieked eerily in his ears. He ran into the road! He ran away. He was running from her. It sung before a new current of wind swirled around him, it's voice screeching against the previous wind current. A father is screaming too, the new current sung, he mourns for his wife while beating his daughter, beating, beating her. Both currents shrieked in his ears as they rose several octaves before dispersing completely.

A child is stealing from the trash, along with several others. "Hurry, hurry," he whispers. "Someone is coming." Someone is coming. "RUN", a new streak of wind hisses into his ears as it streams past, it's voice fading as it zooms past.  Grell opened his eyes slowly. After many late nights of reaping he had grown accustom to the wind's scrolls and had thanks to his ears, if he listened intently he could hear their words.

As he opened his eyes, immediately they widen considerably to find bright blue eyes staring at him from the next door roof. The eyes belonging to the supposed corpse of the woman named Felicity. Grell stumbled backwards, his feet making a grating sound against the roof. It is only then he realized that this is not Felicity but a child with similar eyes. A chill ran down his spine at this realization.

"Hello," the child said, her voice young and innocent. She inclined her head to the left but made no movement towards him. She had short, hazel curls that kissed her frail shoulders. It was then he noticed, the thin clothing she wore on such a cold night as this. She donned a thin pink tee shirt that was messily tucked into an old three quarters denim jeans that was beginning to fray at the ends. Her face was cloaked with grime and dirt but even still she had a haunting beauty about her.

"Run," the wind hissed in his ears but somehow her eyes compelled him to stay.

"My name's Taylor," the child said sweetly. "What's yours?"  She asked, looking at him intently. Grell said nothing which cause her pale lips to deepen in a frown.  "I won't hurt you, if that's what you were wondering. I'm not like Fel," she said. "I'm not allowed to fight, just to watch," she said and then drummed her fingers against the metal collar she was wearing. "Don't worry. If I even try to use my gifts, this collar here will incapacitate me," she said sadly. "Would you like to see?" She asked and as if on cue she arched one of her hands forward, the beginning of bright yellow bolts fizzed in the air.

They quickly dispersed as the child let out a piercing scream, falling to the ground. The collar that was latched into her neck gave its own bolts of electricity shocking her deeply. Grell watched as this ordeal continued before the girl's eyes rolled backwards as her body squirmed on the roof. Then she remained still as the bolts fizzed through her body and for a moment Grell wondered if she was dead.

She wasn't though. Several moments after she fell, a tall boy, whom bore a striking resemblance to the child named Taylor was at her side. He appeared older than the girl and as he knelt down, scooping her up in his arms. "I don't know why she does this," he muttered to himself. He then turned around to face Grell. "She isn't dead if that's what you were thinking," the boy said, looking at him with the same eyes Taylor had.

"Then..?" Grell asked, letting his words fade. The boy looked down at the girl, his face softening.

"She's just sleeping for now," he said softly before adding, "hopefully." "Until then," he said, looking back up at Grell. " I'll be your new stalker."

"My new stalker?" Grell asked incredulously,

"Yes," the boy said, "Mother wants to keep on eye on you." The boy then paused, looking thoughtful. "I don't know why though. Then they never tell me anything." They boy shook his head, muttering to himself. Grell felt something prick at his nerves. Irritation.

"And you are?" He asked.

"Oh me?" They boy asked, blinking in surprise. "I'm Taylor, the Original."

--------
Short update. Sorry loves. This chapter is dedicated to sagery2003 thank you for always voting for this novel. It means a lot to me and I appreciate you.

Comment and Vote.

-Faith