The purple house

Xi Gong Gong wasted no time in announcing the lady of the purple house. 

"Liu Ji Chun, step forward."

Ji Chun smiled, her eyes looking up to meet her cousin's confused face. She bowed before the Empress. Shan Yu gripped onto her skirt in shock, trying her best not to look too upset, her eyes flicker back and forth from her cousin to the Empress, who was smiling warmly at Ji Chun. 

Shan Yu had to fight back the urge to stomp her foot like she was used to when she's frustrated. If only she could have a say in the situation she would have never allowed Ji Chun to even partake in the selection. 

Ji Chun was the daughter of the Emperor's trusted general. General Liu. She was Shan Yu's cousin and have often been rivals ever since they were young. Their mothers were sisters and being born to the younger sister, Ji Chun was always told to give in to Shan Yu. During their grandmother's birthday celebration, Shan Yu locked Ji Chun up for hours causing Ji Chun to miss dinner and the performance, and yet, after crying about it to the family... Shan Yu only got away with a reminder from her mother not to do that. Shan Yu constantly gets first pick on any jewelry, clothes, or shoes and Ji Chun has to always allow her to do so. 

The Empress knew exactly what she was doing when she had picked Ji Chun. One of the tests had included crafting some hair ornaments, and Ji Chun's delicate craftsmanship did not go unnoticed. However, what made the Empress take a second closer look at her was the fact that during the 3rd day, the girls were gathered in the garden, playing a local game called war chess. \

The Empress had taken an interest and came into the garden, the only girl who managed to win every single round was Ji Chun. War Chess was something invented by the people a few years back, with a map of the land and sea as well as pieces of rock used to represent the warships and armies, one's objective is to conquer the land before them. 

The Empress noted how Ji Chun was strategical and planned her moves even before her opponents were able to think about their own. She played quickly before the hourglass runs out and gave the turn back to the opponent before they even had a chance to think about what moves they should make. There were also several times she used military tactics that the Empress knew was not listed in the books available at the library and instead could only be learnt if one was at war. 

"What is the name of that child?" The Empress asked softly

"If I am not wrong your majesty, her name is Liu Ji Chun."

"Ji Chun. What a beautiful name for a child so clever. I think she might be extremely useful to me.  I would like her in my court."

Ra-On had bowed and looked on in curiosity. There was no need for the ladies in court to be good at playing war chess... or to be strategical. They were not allowed to attend the Emperor's court and so having knowledge of this was nothing useful. However, surely if the Empress says she would be useful, she would be. 

----

As Ji Chun strolled up and took her spot next to Shan Yu, she glanced over and smiled. She knew her presence would piss Shan Yu off. Having always been on the losing end of their arguments, and having to always give in to the whiny brat before her, this was the first time Ji Chun felt like she had won. 

'More to come dear cousin, I will have you pay me back for every single humiliating time where you and your family had mocked me and my mother.' 

Shan Yu bit her lips as she tried her best to keep breathing. Ji Chun may be in court with her now, but this is no different from the many times before. She would come out victorious over her cousin. There was nothing that she would not do to win. 

_____________________________________

Hope you like this! It's my first attempt at writing something near historic and no the characters do not exist. I made them up HAHAH

Do comment and vote:)

xoxo
Kiera

Edited: 16th nov 2021