The gift and the warning.

There was a seemingly deathly silence as the ladies followed the Empress into the Lotus palace. As they step past the golden arcs and made their way deeper into the palace the ladies couldn't help but feast their eyes upon everything. This was the powerful and wonderous palace that they had heard so much about and yearned to see. Never would they have thought that in their lives, they would have had the opportunity to step foot in the palace and become one of the owners of this place. 

The ladies followed along meekly behind the elders who were leading them deeper into the palace. They finally arrived in a beautiful garden where there were tables and chairs set up in a semi-circle, they faced a golden chair.

The ladies watch wordlessly as Ra-On offered her hand to the Empress and led the way to the chair. The Empress took a seat as she slowly looked over the girls standing before her. 

"First of all, dear ladies, welcome to the lotus palace." the Empress begins "Please do take a seat at your corresponding colors. I will be making a few announcements. It will serve you well to remember all that I say today."

The ladies curtsied and made their way to their seats. The attendants followed beside them, helping them with their dresses and pouring them tea. 

"In exactly 5 days there will be a coronation event. During the coronation event, each sector must prepare one performance. As ladies of the house, it is your job to oversee the preparation and succession of the event, you will also be expected to read a passage from the Imperial scroll 'Haok Rules for Imperial ladies'. I am looking forward to the coronation. Towards the end, the Emperor will be giving out various gifts to the houses and would also choose the one lucky lady who will serve him that night."

The Empress nodded towards Ra-On who stepped forward and waved her hands towards the right of the garden, the attendants who were standing by the side of the gardens started to walk towards the ladies. As they slowly made their way to the middle of the semi-circle, the ladies noticed that the attendants were dressed in second-class attendant dresses, however, their belts have been replaced and instead of the normal white belt, they were separated by the different colors of the houses. The attendants said nothing as they stared straight ahead and stood, awaiting further orders. 

"These ladies in waiting are my gift to you. As everyone knows, without any additional titles being bestowed upon you as of now, as a Lady, you are only entitled to 4 attendants. However, in my generosity, I have decided to gift each one of you an additional 8 attendants to help you better adapt to life in the palace."

The ladies bowed their heads quickly as they thanked the Empress before them. They had known before entering the palace that as one:s rank grows in the palace, their status are further affirmed with bigger courtyards, more attendants, and more allowances.

Amongst the attendants, there were also some significantly older ladies who were dressed in a different uniform. While the second-class attendants dorn a sky blue dress, these older ladies wore a darker shade of purple. These uniforms help set apart the various ladies in court as they are often a display of seniority.

These older ladies are known as first-class attendants based on their uniforms. Even within attendants, there are various rankings, and one had to be promoted internally in order to make their way up the rankings. As a first-class attendant, there were not only various responsibilities given to them, but certain freedom and rewards too. A first-class attendant is only directly below a noble lady. If a first-class attendant is serving directly under their mistress as the manager of the courtyard, she is even allowed to wear dresses her mistress gifts her. 

These elder ladies made their way to each of the tables as they bowed and greeted the lady of the house. Their hands folded in front of their uniforms as they seem to await orders from the Empress. Even while they were supposedly serving the owners of the colors, they took no heed from their mistresses and instead was focused on the Empress.

The Empress continued on with her speech, slightly proud of how grand the moment had seemed. 

The Empress raised her hands towards JiaJia, her second class attendant as she beckons.