Chapter 8

The next day at noon, we stopped at a hill near some mountains. Gandalf was telling us that The Fellowship has to hold the course west of the Misty Mountains for forty days. If the Gap of Rohan is free, we then have to turn east to head to Mordor.

Sam was cooking food over a fire and sat next to Frodo. Aragorn was smoking a pipe, watching Boromir teach Merry and Pippin how to fight with swords. Legolas was standing on a big rock, looking over the hills.

''Two, one, five. Good job Merry! You too Pippin!'', Boromir said while teaching the hobbits some blocking techniques.

''Move you feet.'', Aragorn encouraged.

''You both look good.'', I say to the hobbits.

''Thanks Amber!'', Merry replies.

''Faster Pippin.'', Boromir instructs.

While the hobbits continued to learn how to use their swords, I decided to walk around camp. I saw Gimli approach Mithrandir.

''If anyone was to ask for my opinion which they're not, I'd say we are taking the long way round.'' I heard Gimli say, ''We should pass through the Mines of Moria, Gandalf. Balin my cousin, will give us a royal welcome.''

''No Gimli." Gandalf answers sternly, ''I will not take the road through Moria unless there was no other choice.''

I go return to watch the hobbits practise with their swords.

''Come on." Boromir urges Merry, ''Good!''

When Boromir returns to train with Pippin, he accidentally nicks Pippin's hand with his blade.

''Ow!'', Pippin responds

''Sorry!'', Boromir apologizes.

Pippin instantly kicks him in the shin. Boromir crashes to the ground while Aragorn and I laugh.

''Get him!'', Merry cheers.

As Boromir was about to get up, the hobbits tackled him.

''For the Shire!'' Pippin exclaims, ''Hold him down Merry!''

''Should we help Boromir?'', I ask Aragorn while the hobbits continue to pin him.

''Although this is entertaining, we should break it up." Aragorn says with a small chuckle, ''Gentlemen, that's enough.''

While Aragorn attempts to take Merry and Pippin off Boromir, I see Legolas staring South where a weird cloud is placed. This can't be good. I take out my bow and load an arrow.

''Whats that?'', Frodo says noticing my alarm.

''It's just a whiff of cloud.'', Gimli says, reassuring him.

''It can't be Gimli.'' I say, '' The clouds moving to fast.''

''Crebain from Dunland!'', Legolas warns.

''Hide!'', Aragorn orders.

I shoot an arrow to the birds, taking one down. Aiming to take another one down, Legolas stops me.

''Hurry Amber, hide!'', he hisses.

I ignore him while my second arrow sends a bird tumbling to the ground. As I load a third arrow, Boromir grabs my arm and we hid in the bushes.

''You shouldn't have wasted arrows like that Amber." he whispers, ''There are to many.''

He's right. Why have I been so careless? Suddenly darkness rushes ahead, the black birds cawing loudly above. They circle the hill once with their wings flapping loudly, then fly back South. When we all emerged from hiding Mithrandir spoke.

''Spies of Saruman! The South pass is being watched. We must take the Pass of Caradhras.''

We all look up at the snowy, monstrous mountain. This is not going to be easy.

------------------------------------------

No elvish in this chapter. Sorry!

~Talia Spirit