the new boy

Our fingers intertwined, and our hands swinging back and forth in perfect time, Riley and I make our way into the subway station, looking around at all the familiar faces. We've been taking the same subway since 7th grade, so we're regulars around here. It's kind of a special place for us, it makes us feel free. Like the world is ours for the taking.

"How are you feeling?" Riley's sweet voice chirps, causing me to snap out of my trance. Looking up, I shrug, putting on my usual uncaring attitude which I know she can see right through. "It's just like middle school.. But more boys." I wiggle my eyebrows, causing her to erupt in excited giggles. Riley is.. Innocent, to say the least. She still has that wide-eyed optimism that I envy so much. She's been sheltered her whole life, and it's for the best. I never want that sweet innocence to be taken away from her.

We board the subway, standing in our usual spots and holding onto the pole to keep steady. Her hand is below mine, our fingers barely touching, and she's looking around at all the people stepping on, that glimmer of hope for the future in her eyes. Something that I'd lost a long time ago.

Suddenly, her face changes, her eyes big brown eyes widening and her lips forming into a small "o." Following her gaze, I spot a boy who looks around our age that I've never seen before. He's tall, moderately attractive.. Basically your stereotypical 'cute boy.' He takes a seat alone, and Riley can't seem to tear her eyes away from him. She's looking at him like she'd look at a box of puppies. As adorable as it is, I feel my jaw clenching, and my grip around the pole tightening.

It's a feeling I've never felt before, and I don't know where it's coming from. Releasing my hand from the pole, I scrunch up my nose at her. "Just go talk to him, Riles." I mutter in a snarky tone, which she doesn't seem to pick up on in the slightest. Giving a little jump, her lips curl up into a wide smile. "You think I should?" She asks, as my stomach ties up in knots.

"Go." I give her a gentle push, and watch as she stumbles towards the back of the subway, landing perfectly in his lap.

Disgusting.

I can't even watch them, so I turn my face towards the window, watching nothing but grey concrete zoom past my eyes. It's boring, but better than watching my best friend flirt with some boy in cowboy boots and a flannel shirt. As the minutes tick by, I'm lost in thought, day dreaming about what the year will be like, the friends I'll make, and how much closer I'll hopefully grow to Riley. We've been friends forever and I know going to high school won't change that.

"I think I'm in love, Maya." A voice from behind me murmurs dreamily, causing my entire body to tense up.

Or maybe it will.