the proposal

"Y'know, homecoming is just around the corner." Riley nudges me with her elbow, making my pencil run off my sketchpad, leaving a dark line through the picture I'd been working on.

Gritting my teeth, I shut my sketch book and slide it into my backpack, turning in my seat so that Riley sees she has my full attention, even though we're in art class, and it should be my sketch pad that has my full attention. "Right.. And why should I care?" I ask, unamused by her reminder about the 'big' dance.

She seems genuinely offended by my question, but quickly gets over it, a cheesy grin replacing her frown within seconds. "Because, Maya! It's our first high school dance. Isn't there anyone you want to go with?" She asks hopefully. No doubt, she already has an idea of who she wants to go with.

I pretend to contemplate her question, and then promptly, and truthfully answer "no."

She gasps, her hand flying to her mouth. "Maya! There has to be someone you want to dance night away with." She sings, most likely imagining Lucas swaying back and forth with her in the poorly decorated high school gymnasium.

"Well, there isn't. You know how I imagine the night of homecoming? Me, the couch, my sketch book and ice cream. Lot's of ice cream." I smile, but she just pouts, not accepting my answer. I know that she just wants the best for me but sometimes she doesn't know what that is. Sometimes what's best for me, isn't what's best for her.
We're two very different people.

"You're going to homecoming, even if you don't have a date. We'll all go, as friends. You, me, Farkle and Lucas!" She suggests, reaching over and grabbing my hand. I look down at her hands wrapped around mine, and can't help but smile. She's impossible to say no to.

"Alright, fine."

Except of course, it doesn't actually turn out that way.

I lean my back against my locker as Riley stuffs her books in her own, when it's finally time to go home. Somehow, I've made it through a-whole-nother day, and I'm about to comment on how good of a day it's been, when Lucas strolls over, a bouquet of colorful flowers in his hand, a perfect lil' grin on his face.

'Why me?' I groan internally, stepping out of the way so he can do his thing. I've been expecting this.

He goes up to Riley, tapping on her shoulder. She zips up her backpack, shutting her locker with her forearm as she spins around to see who needs her. When her face is met with Lucas', her eyes instantly light up.

"Riley Matthews.. Will you be my date to homecoming?" He proposes confidently, and it takes everything in me not to protest.

If I'm being honest, the only thing that's stopping me is seeing how thrilled she looks.

Throwing her arms around his neck, she squeals "yes, yes, yes," as he picks gently lifts her off the ground, swaying back and forth slightly.

My heart drops into my stomach, so I wrap my arms around my torso, watching their encounter. He sets her down, then holds out the flowers.
I notice he got her roses. Cliché, plus, anyone who knows anything about Riley knows that daisies are her favorite.

If I asked her, it would've been perfect. A bouquet of daisies, a stuffed puppy, our song playing in the background..

There's no use dwelling on the 'what if's' though, and besides, I'd never ask her anyway.
I'm not going to homecoming with my best friend as my date.

Before Lucas even walks away from Riley, I push myself off of the lockers and head towards the exit doors of the high school, charging through them to get away from all the ooey-gooey love crap in the vicinity.

Only seconds after, though, Riley is right behind me, her backpack in one hand and the rose bouquet in the other. "Peaches?" She almost whimpers, making me stop dead in my tracks.

Slowly turning around, I meet her face, her features overrun with sadness and confusion.

"I thought you would be happy for me." She whispers, making me instantly regret storming out on her like that. With a sigh, I wrap my arms around her lanky body and pull her against me, my hands rubbing her back, my head nuzzled against her neck.

We stay like that for a moment, until I know she's had enough comfort to hear me out.

"Of course I'm happy for you, honey, I just.. It's.." I struggle to find the right words. Anyway possibility of ending the sentence makes me sound like a selfish jerk, so I conclude it's best if I just formulate a little lie.

"I'm a little jealous. I really wanted, uh.. Farkle to ask me. So uh. Yeah." I mutter, and it pains to me to even say those words.

Farkle's great, I adore him as a friend, but as a homecoming date..

I shudder at the thought.

Riley seems to believe my story, though, and she perks up at the sound of it. "Maya!" She squeals, taking both of my hands and spinning me around, back to her usual, bright and shiny self. "You should've just said so! Farkle loves you, he probably just doesn't think you'd say yes. I'll get this sorted out right away!" She declares, marching down the sidewalk with a sort of determination so passionate that I know there is no way this could end well.