the dressing room

I hear a little ding come from the front door, signaling that someone has walked in, and I immediately jump to my feet.

I've been at this boutique for almost 20 minutes, waiting for Riley to show up so we can pick out some dresses for homecoming.

Not wanting her to question anything, I told Farkle he could take me to homecoming, so that's all that Riley knows. She knows he asked me, it was adorable, and I said yes.

Riley rushes over, looking flustered, her hair windblown with strands strewn across her face, and her cheeks bright red. Laughing softly, I reach over, gently pushing the strand of hair that was in front of her eyes back behind her ear, as she struggles to catch her breath. "Bout time you showed up, Riles." I tease, which only makes her cheeks flush even more.

"I missed the subway so I had to run here instead, okay? I'm sorry." She apologizes profusely, making me giggle.

"Oh, honey. I'm not mad. Just glad you made it." I assure her, before grabbing her hand and pulling her off towards the rows and rows of colorful dresses.

Immediately, my eye is drawn to a black one. It's alone in a whirl of bright pinks, blues, and purples, and I immediately know that I want it to be mine.

"Black, Maya? Really?" I hear Riley question, noticing how I'm dreamily staring at the dress.

Embarrassed, I quickly move away, trying to act like I wasn't dying to try on the dress.

"No, no.." I shake my head, trying to hide the disappoint in my facial expressions as I remind her, "I don't have enough money for this.. I'll just find something in my closet." I say finally, sending her a look that lets her know I don't want to discuss it any further.

She gets it, but still, I can see the hurt in her eyes.

"You could still try it on.." She squeaks, and I can tell she's just trying to be nice but still, I snap.

"I don't want it, okay Riley?"

She's shocked by my outburst, but nods her head slowly nonetheless, finally just dropping the subject and focusing her attention back on all of the dresses.

We shop in silence for a while, until she finds a dress that she likes.

It's about mid length, plaid, red black and blue. An interesting outfit choice, for sure, but what should I expect? It's Riley, she has her own beautifully different style.

"This one. This is the one." She breathes, taking the dress off the rack and hugging it to her chest, her teeth poking through her lips in that huge, overdramatic smile. Standing up from the chair I was sitting in while I waited for her, I sauntered over and crossed my arms over my chest.

"Slow down, princess. You haven't even tried it on yet." I remind her, so with her free hand she grips my arms and practically drags me to the back of the store where the dressing rooms are located. I'm about to sit down, but she keeps her hand around my arm, forcing me to stay standing.

"I need your help putting it on!" She grins, and again I'm being pulled, this time into the dressing room.

There is an unsettling feeling in my stomach.

I've seen her change before, and in bikinis when we go to the pool, but something about this feels different. Just the two of us.. In a very small area.. With the door locked...

Breathing, I lean my back up against the wall of the small room, and watch as she hangs the dress up on the metal bar. Turning, she faces towards the wall, her back towards me. I stare intently as her hands grip the bottom of her shirt, and slowly, she lifts it up over her head and then tosses it aside.

My breath hitches in my throat as I stare at the tan, bare skin of her back, feeling my mouth twitch up into a smile when I notice the dimples at the bottom of her spine. My eyes traveling further up, her pink bra strap with white hearts catches my eye. Adorable, just like her.

She reaches for the dress, unzipping it and then stepping in.

The room is silent, the only sound that can heard is the swishing of fabric, and my, fairly heavy, breathing.

"Uh, Maya." A soft voice breaks the silence, and I quickly look down, even though she isn't facing me so I know she can't see that I'm staring.

"Zip me?" She asks, the dress resting on her shoulders, her back still exposed to me.

I clear my throat, taking a step forward. "Yeah, yeah of course." I murmur, tugging the zipper up, my fingers gently brushing against the soft skin of her back. My heart is pounding as it reaches the top, and I clip it.

When she turns to show me the dress, she looks just as shaken as I am. Her big brown eyes are dark, her eyebrows knitted together. We just stare at each other for a moment, searching each other's faces, until she snaps out of it and looks down at the dress.

I have to admit, she looks amazing in it, as she turns to look at herself in the mirror. It hugs her petite figure in all the right places, but flares out at the bottom to give her more of that princess-y look.

"How do you like it, honey?" I ask her, as she admires the reflection, absolutely mesmerized, her hands running along the fabric.

"It's perfect." She whispers, awestruck, and I can't help smile. Her happiness is contagious, and I'm coming down with it.

"Do you think Lucas will like it?" She pipes up, and immediately, my stomach drops. In the heat of the moment, I had completely forgotten why we were even here. To find a dress for Riley, so she can dance the night away with the "man of her dreams."

She seems to notice my change in expression. because almost immediately, she corrects herself.

"I mean.. Do you like it?" She asks again, sweetly, looking over at me with that face, that face that's just impossible to stay upset at.

"I love it, Riles." I respond, watching as her cheeks transition to a shade of pink.

"Alright, then it's decided. I'm buying this dress!" She finalizes with a nod, turning around, signaling for me to unzip her.

Stepping towards her again, I grab the zipper and begin pulling it down, my eyes following and taking in every inch of skin as it reappears. Letting the dress slide off of her shoulders, she steps out of it and hangs it up on the hanger.

Slowly, she turns around, her eyebrows furrowing together, as she looks around. "Have you seen my shirt?"

I look up, and it takes everything in me not to stare. Because there she is, shirtless in front of me, in just that cute little pink bra. Forcing myself to keep my eyes on her face, I shake my head, too phased to even look around for the shirt.

With a hmph, she moves closer, searching for the yellow top she had been wearing. Giggling, she bends down, grabbing it. "It was right by your feet, Maya!"

She stands back up, and when she does, her face is just inches away from mine.
My mind flashes back to that moment in the library stairwell, where she was so close to me, close enough to.. kiss.

Back in reality, her eyes are locked with mine, and she looks like a deer in headlights.

"Maya, I.." She starts, but I cut her off.

By pressing my lips against hers.

--

A/N: HOLY OMG I AM SO SORRY I HAVEN'T UPDATED IN AGESSSSSSSS. I've been so busy with school and work, but I hope this ~intense~ chapter makes up for it.