the bad guy

Instead of going home after the incident with Riley, I decide to walk to Farkle's house. He's always been a sort of mediator in Riley and I's lives- he's a genius in helping us with our problems. And right now, I have a big one.

Something is happening to Riley and I need to figure out what it is.

Since I'm moving with a purpose, it doesn't take me long to reach the Minkus residence. I knock at the door, and not even 10 seconds later, it opens up to reveal Mrs. Minkus, looking done up as usual.

"Maya!" She seems pleasantly surprised by my appearance. It's not often any of us come here, due to Farkle being slightly embarrassed by how wealthy he is.

"Hi, Mrs. Minkus, is Farkle here?" I try my best to be polite, as this isn't like Riley's house where her parents are basically my own. It seems wrong to be myself here, because they're all so.. Fancy.

"He's up in his room. Do you remember how to get there?" She asks, and I nod, even though looking around I can tell I'll be lost within a matter of seconds. She lets me in and I head straight for the stairs, because I know for a fact his room is on the second floor.

After opening a few doors, I come across the one I recognize to be Farkle's. Not bothering to knock, I barge in, finding him sitting on his bed and reading a large book. Rushing over, I push it out of his hands and plop down on the bed beside him, a serious look on my face.

He scoffs, looking up at me in shock. "Maya! How the hell did you get in here?"

I shrug, "The tall lady let me in," I answer, referring to his mother. He rolls his eyes, picking his book up off the floor and setting it on his nightstand. "Okay well why are you here?" He questions, and my face falls.

He seems to notice, because he leans forward, his brows furrowed in concern. "Maya? What happened?"

"Something is wrong with Riley." I reply softly, a side of me I rarely show. The part of me that cares and worries about my friends.

He just blinks,  clearly wanting to me go on, so I take a deep breath and tell him everything that's been happening between us.

"She's been acting.. Different. She seems so sad. And she lashes out on me for things she's never cared about before. She blew me off for Lucas!" I whine, and he just nods, biting down on his lower lip as if deep in thought.

"I've noticed that she's been acting different. Ever since homecoming. Maybe something happened?" He suggests, and I'm disappointed by his analysis, because I already knew something happened at homecoming.

"Duh, Farkle. Obviously something happened. I just don't know what, and why she's carried it with her for days. How serious could it have been?" I ask, completely lost. Riley takes everything to heart, but usually she's over anything within a few hours because her brain pushes it aside so she has more room for rainbows and sunshine, or whatever it is that inhabits that mind of hers.

"Well the only person she was with at homecoming was Lucas. So isn't this a conversation you should be having with him?" Farkle asks, but I just glare at him, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Yeah, because obviously Lucas is going to tell me what he did to Riley." I murmur sarcastically.

"Well, Maya, I don't know what to tell you. Obviously she isn't actually upset with you, she's just taking out her frustration on you, probably because she trusts you and knows that you'll be there for her."

I purse my lips, knowing that he's right. He also makes me realize that I haven't really been there for her. I should be doing more to try and help her, and that's exactly what I plan on doing now.

I jump to my feet, formulating a plan as I run towards the door. "Bye, Farkle! Thanks for the help!" I call out as I rush out the door, navigating my way back to the front entryway of his ginormous house. Without even bothering to say goodbye to his mother, I leave and my feet carry me where my brain knows I shouldn't go.

Lucas Friar's house.

It's a stupid plan, but it's the only one I can think up at the moment. I don't even know if they're going to be there, but for some reason my feet just keep carrying me down the sidewalk, bringing me closer and closer to the small apartment I know he lives in.

I've been there only once before, when our whole group went over to study for a history test together. His mother is actually insanely sweet, which makes me wonder why he's not more like her.

Finally I arrive at the apartment building, and although I'm basically heaving, I find a last burst of energy to jog up the stairs to the third floor, his floor. Coming up to his door, I stop.

I was about to knock, but I decide against it, as I can hear a conversation happening inside, through the very thin walls.

"Lucas, I already told you, I don't want to." Riley's sweet voice cracks, sounding as if she's about to cry.

My mind automatically assumes the worst.

"Why, Riley? I thought you liked me? What's the big deal?" Lucas shouts, and I wince at how loud he is. Through the door I can hear every word he says loud and clear, so I can't even imagine how bad it is for Riley.

"Lucas, I do.. I-I'm just not ready." She whimpers, and my heart literally rips in half at the sound of her, so weak and helpless. I know I should do something but I don't know what, I still don't understand what's going on.

"C'mon Riley!" Lucas roars, and then I hear a loud crash.

The feeling inside of me as I push through the door is something I can't even begin to explain, and the next few minutes are a complete blur.