Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

I climb into the passenger seat of the car, as Caleb kicks the car into drive. He'd stolen a SUV as it was the best of our choices – but we'll need to change it soon as we could. It draws too much attention and, of course, Dante would know this car.

We all have one small bag to ourselves. I've kept mine on my lap whereas everyone else has placed theirs in the back – but I'm not taking the risk of having to jump from the car and leaving my bag. And I will need my bag. I'll need my insulin and my clothing.

"Where is the best place to head?" Caleb asks, after about twenty minutes of driving north. He glances at everyone in the back. Lorenzo, Chloe, Serena and Simon are all squished into the back. As the smallest I should have really been in the back, but then I am more important, so I took a seat in the front and no one but Lorenzo argued. And he didn't really argue, just grumbled in annoyance and sent me a dirty look.

"If we can get out of the US we'll have our best chance of staying hidden" I comment, and Lorenzo nods slowly. Suddenly a beep sounds and we all glance down at our countdown watches. It reads; 43800.60...43800.59...43800.58.

"What does that mean?" Chloe asks.

"It's the amount of minutes in a month" I reply. "We have to survive a month".

"That's longer than I thought it would be" Simon mutters, looking annoyed. Pouting my lips, I consider our real options here.

"I know a guy with a jet" Lorenzo says, "but he will need paying. And there is no way we can get that sort of cash without BLR knowing".

"Unless we steal the money" I suggest, thinking about it for a moment. I turn and look at the back seat, predominantly at Lorenzo. "You sort the plane out. I'll get the money and we can meet up at the airstrip".

"We have to be in pairs" Chloe adds in, "we can never go off on our own".

"So we split up" I shrug, "it will be harder for them to track our moves if we break off into pairs anyway. We will all take a different route to the airstrip, giving the illusion we split up, before we meet up".

Lorenzo considers this for a moment, and everyone else is silent. "That seems like a good idea. But who will you take with you? How do you plan to steal the money?"

"I'll break into a bank. I do it for a living".

"Yeah and usually you work alone. Who would be able to stay with you when you rob a bank?" he deadpans. I thought about how I work – I jump and climb and use my supernatural speed and strength to get into the bank. I sigh and glare at him.

"Only you would" I frown at him.

"So you and I will pair up" he nods, looking as equally displeased. But this is business, and he is a businessman. "We will be in charge of getting the money".

"Chloe and Caleb will also pair up, so that Serena and Simon can pair up. It would be best if we have the witches apart as they will be able to aid their partners" I add.

"Yes" he nods. "Chloe and Caleb you guys will be in charge of getting us fake identifications".

"How?" Caleb questions, eyes glancing from the road for a second to turn to us, before turning back.

"I actually know a guy who might be able to do it" Chloe says, running her hands through her dark hair. "He did some computer work for me back in India, but he's American and lives in Detroit. I'm sure he could create them for us".

"Yeah but he'll have to come to you" Lorenzo says, "you can't cross the border into American without the BLR knowing about it. You'll have to contact him and organise a place to meet him".