CHAPTER FIFTEEN: ATTACK

If we needed any further proof that the Nephilim have never meant their promises of peace, here it is. You should listen to the little Shadowhunter girl of yours, maybe she has something to say that will change your mind. She is more like her mother than you might have realised! Now, dare to attack us, Shadowhunters, and you'll have a war on your hands.◢

⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼

CHAPTER FIFTEEN: ATTACK

IN the music room of de Quincey's town house, Tessa Gray found herself surrounded by stern vampire faces. Arm in arm with Magnus, a Warlock she had only recently met and still didn't completely trust, she gave her best to watch closely on her brunette friend.

The Shadowhunter girl had tried to follow them closely and without drawing any attention as she searched for three empty seats, preferably joined together. Her head was bowed down as she remembered Magnus' suggestion to appear more obedient to her master. Her eyes were glued to the floor beneath her as well, but that didn't chase away the curious vampire gazes away from her.

"They are still looking at her," Tessa said to Magnus under her breath. "At Marie, I mean."

"What did you expect, dear?" Magnus asked, his cat-like orbs lighting up as they surveyed the room. "I mean, look at her. She has the face of an angel and her eyes are - without a doubt - the most beautiful shade of brown I have ever stumbled upon. She pours life into the dumb combination of brown hair and hazel eyes, effortlessly making it look beyond fascinating. She is very pretty, and vampires adore that."

Tessa silently reached up to pat Camille's pale blond curls as she noticed Marie nodding her head to the chairs she found. Pulling slightly on Magnus' sleeve, Tessa directed the three to their places.

Upon taking a seat, Tessa glanced at her friend. Marie was at Tessa's right, desperately trying to ignore the way vampires looked at her, almost like she was their prey.

Marie watched closely as the lights flickered around the room; the stage in front of them was bathing in thick, dark shadows and no pair of eyes in the room could discern what was moving within the darkness.

Until Alexei de Quincey appeared.

The audience fell silent as de Quincey proudly displayed a set of sharp, white teeth. Without wanting to, Marie gulped, swallowing a dumpling that had formed in her throat.

De Quincey looked savage, wild in a way. His grin appeared manic, sadistic. It caused every inch of Marie's skin to freeze, her heart to slow down and even her lungs to give out under his watchful gaze.

A murmur of hushed appreciation went through the room, resembling the one that would appear in a mundane theater.

"Good evening and welcome, friends. Those of you who have joined me here," the vampire smiled directly at Marie who was unable of doing anything else but to stare back at him, "are proud sons and daughters of the Night Children. We do not bend our necks beneath the oppressive yoke called the Law. We do not answer to Nephilim. Nor shall we abandon our ancient customs at their whim."