CHAPTER TWENTY TWO: UNVEIL

No, I mean enterprising. When I mean morally deficient, I say, 'Now, that's something I would have done'.◢

⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO: UNVEIL

MARIE and Will were far too caught up with each other to notice young Jem Carstairs approaching. Their hearts seemed to have finally connected, beating the same slow pace. Their eyes were closed, Marie's head resting on Will's chest while his was positioned on top of hers. It was such an intimate moment for them that Jem almost felt bad for what he was about to do.

"Are the two of you snogging?"

Will lifted his chin up from the top of Marie's head, his eyes giving a pleading look to his parabatai. It almost looked as if Will was begging Jem not to ask questions, making him wonder what was going on that was so bad that Will Herondale of all the people had been begging him not to tease.

"What are you doing out of bed?" Will asked, pleased to see that his parabatai was dressed. However, he couldn't help but let his eyes linger a bit longer on Jem's burning red cheeks.

"I ran into Charlotte in the hall. She said we were all meeting in the Drawing room to talk with Tessa's brother," Jem's tone was mild, making it impossible for Will to tell how much of the conversation that was shared between Marie and himself Jem had overheard. "I'm well enough to listen, at least."

"Oh, good, you're all here," it was Charlotte's voice which finally made Marie lift her head off of Will's chest. The girl was quick in her action of wiping away the dried tears with her sleeve; she didn't want anyone else to see her crying, Will was sure of it.

"Good thing I have stumbled upon Thomas then, I didn't know there was going to be a meeting," Marie mumbled, observing everyone. Henry was there, as were Sophie and Jessamine. She wasn't surprised to see Jessamine wearing one of her nicest dresses; the blonde had enjoying making great first impressions.

"Are those for Mr. Gray?" Marie asked, noticing Sophie holding some tea and blankets in her hands.

Sophie nodded in return. "Mrs. Branwell thought he'd likely be hungry-"

"And I thought he might be cold. He was shivering so last night," Jessamine was fast to add. "Should we bring these things in to him, then?"

Charlotte looked to Marie, almost as if she was asking whether or not it was okay to enter the room in which were Tessa and Nathaniel Gray. "Of course, we should go in."

"Very well, then," Charlotte said softly, as she pushed the door open, all the residents of the Institute following after the woman.

Marie waited for everyone to enter and just as she was about to take her first step inside, a hand landed on her upper arm; soft and light.

"Wait," William said, pulling her back carefully. "Give me a moment of your time, please."

The brunette turned around, putting a smile on her face. She knew Will wouldn't buy her weak attempt of faking happiness, but she tried it either way. "What is it, Will?"

"You know that very well, Marie."

"Will-"

"But Marie-" Tessa's voice floated into the hallway, reaching the ears of Marie and Will. "Is she joining us? Where is she?"

It was an obvious sign of Tessa's lack of affection and trust toward the others; she was needing her friend's support.

"We are not done here, Marie," Will sent a warning look toward the brunette as he let go of her arm, allowing both of them to enter the room