CHAPTER NINETEEN: RECONCILE

By the Angel, will you calm down, woman?◢

⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼

CHAPTER NINETEEN: RECONCILE

AFTER all the harsh words that were exchanged between the Institute's residents, Marie didn't end up going after Tessa at all. Jem was quick in his step, approaching the Shadowhunter girl without losing breath and practically begging her to allow him to go and seek Tessa instead. The silver-haired boy had claimed he knew just the right place that was going to help in clearing her mind and leaving all the bitter feelings aside.

Considering that Marie herself hadn't felt really well, she agreed with Jem's suggestion without hesitation. She knew that it was better that way; Jem was the one whose soul was calm and capable of repairing any caused damage.

Therefore, seeing that she was freed of her duties, Marie made her way to her own room. The girl wasn't in the happiest of moods, so she thought it was probably the best for her to stay away from everyone. She needed it, after all; a few hours of being alone, just so she could recollect her thoughts and think about all the new information that were so harshly and quickly dropped upon her shoulders.

At first, Marie had only stared at the boring, white ceiling. She had tried finding a fault in the flawless, white canvas, but it was all in vain. No matter how hard she had focused, her eyes couldn't find any mistake; not a single crack or stain. Sighing in rage, the girl got up and sat on the edge of her bed, sticking her face deep into her hands, her brown locks ruffling around her fingers.

Her mind waltzed around the thought that she was going to be married, sooner rather than later. It was not something she had exactly pictured herself doing, especially not at the age of seventeen. If anything, she always thought that she was going to be the one to stay alone and free, for the rest of her life.

To be honest, Marie didn't quite enjoy the idea of depending on a man; she valued her freedom, now more than ever. But of course, her father wanted to take everything from her - even her choice of marrying the person she loved. He mercilessly ripped away her choice and she hated him for it.

"Celine?"

Marie's head snapped up the moment Will's voice reached her ears. She had been so deep into her thinking that she hadn't even registered her door opening and the boy who freely allowed himself in.

Marie glanced at Will, but no response came out of her mouth. She didn't want to talk to him, not now, not ever.

Instead of replying, the brunette stood up from her bed and went straight to the window. It was a clear enough sign to the boy that she wasn't interested in talking to him. But Will Herondale wasn't the one who was willing to give up on something the moment he stumbled upon an obstacle.

"Marie, come on. You cannot stay silent forever."

But again, much to Will's disappointment, the girl said nothing. That bothered him; Will wasn't used to this. Marie was someone who always responded, even if he had crossed all the boundaries and stepped directly into the kingdom of stupidity. The boy wasn't ready to lose that, to lose her. Not after he had just gotten her back.

"By the Angel, would you just look at me?"

This time, Will approached Marie and took a hold of her arms, much to her protests. Her skin was cold to the touch, almost as if she had spent a long time in the freezing weather. Will felt it through the fabric of her dress, it caused hair on his arm to raise.