CHAPTER TWENTY ONE: HIDE

Everyone hides things, Will! There are things I know he's ashamed of, but that doesn't mean they need to matter to us. We need to gain his trust if we want him to share what he knows. Besides, it's not as if you tell everyone everything that's going on in your life, am I right?◢

⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE: HIDE

JEM Carstairs despised secrets. Not only was it often uncomfortable to keep things hidden from others, but they also added more pressure to his already burdened shoulders, giving him the feeling that any moment he would break. That was the main reason behind his decision of sharing everything with Tessa.

The boy couldn't bear looking straight into Tessa's eyes, knowing that the whole story of his past lingered above his head. So he told her everything; the story of his parents dark fate, cruel demons that changed his life from its roots and of course - his terrible illness.

He was not surprised to find Tessa listening carefully, letting him finish every last syllable. She sat still, offering comfort when it was needed and understanding every single worry of his.

Tessa was an example that rare, kind and pure souls still existed, Jem was sure of it.

He had never felt so at ease with someone as he felt with Tessa. The girl had allowed him to forget about the horrible sides of his disease and made each passing day brighter, more cheerful. Jem could never explain just how lucky he was to meet someone like her.

He had to tell her that, no matter the outcome.

"And I trust you," the silver-haired Shadowhunter said. "I don't know why - I've just met you - but I do."

"Well, this is all very touching," Jem didn't even have to lift his head up to recognize the voice. He didn't know for how long, but Will Herondale had somehow managed to silently walk into his room, Marie Wayland by his side.

His parabatai had been wearing clean clothes and his skin held no signs of battle; blood was gone, only few gashes left behind as a reminder that not even Will Herondale is invincible. Jem had no doubt in his mind that Marie had been the one who made Will take care of himself before allowing him to go anywhere.

"I see that you told her," Will spoke again.

"I did," Jem answered, no challenging tone present in his voice. It was fascinating how the boy managed to stay calm, even when Will gave every ounce of himself to provoke Jem. "It's done. There's no more need for you to fret about it."

"I disagree," Will added after giving Tessa a pointed look.

Seeing that she had not been wanted, Tessa stood from her chair. Jem looked at the girl sadly. "Must you go? I was rather hoping you'd stay and be a ministering angel, but if you must go, you must."

"I'll stay," Will offered, throwing himself in the armchair Tessa had just stood up from. "I can minister angelically."

Marie sighed disappointingly. Will Herondale always did things in his own, twisted way. There wasn't a situation where he couldn't manage to throw in his smart remarks, not even after Marie had tried explaining to him that it was solely Jem's decision whether or not he would confide in Tessa.